Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forgot to Salt the Pork Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    Use Meathead’s recommendation of 1/2 tsp of Morton’s Kosher Salt per pound of meat. I round down from that, and the salt level is always good.

• Johnny Booth
    replied
    These guys won’t lead you wrong. 👍👍. I know how you feel tho…. Making a mistake makes me want to cook again right away to get it the way I want.

Leave a comment:

• Purc
    replied
    I am not a big user of salt in anything (but corn on the cob and fries) so I dry brine my proteins with a commercial rub and I figure it has enough salt for me and others can always add salt to their meal. Everyone in my family will complain about more salt.

Leave a comment:

• Oak Smoke
    replied
    I never salt a pork butt until after I pull it . While it’s spread out I lightly salt with about the amount I would have put on it had it been unsalted on my plate. Just mix it up well and it will be fine. In all honesty I wrap mine at 180 F internal to speed things up and get some liquid to add back in when I pull the pork. I’m very happy with how they turn out.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    I am going to say salt to taste. It just seems right.

Leave a comment:

• bmillin
    replied
    Mix up a vinegar sauce with some salt and a bit of rub, work that in as you pull it.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by mhowo View Post
    i know this is an old post but i just had the same problem. i’m eating 12 lbs of under salted pork butt.. I know it can be salted post smoke but it doesn’t have that exquisite taste of a perfectly dry rubbed and salted piece of meat. Oh well- there’s always next weekend here’s a quote from Snoopy “Learn from yesterday, live for today, look to tomorrow, rest this afternoon”.
    Salt to taste before you stow it away as leftovers. Overnight, with luck, the salt will be absorbed into the meat and the next time you serve it, it should be almost indistinguishable from pork that was brined before cooking. Almost ...

Leave a comment:

• mhowo
    replied
    i know this is an old post but i just had the same problem. i’m eating 12 lbs of under salted pork butt.. I know it can be salted post smoke but it doesn’t have that exquisite taste of a perfectly dry rubbed and salted piece of meat. Oh well- there’s always next weekend here’s a quote from Snoopy “Learn from yesterday, live for today, look to tomorrow, rest this afternoon”.

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    commented on 's reply
    If memory serves me well Frozen Smoke never added rub on his butts before smoking and only added to the pulled pork afterwards. 
    I do rub mine before smoking but add a bit more after pulling and I believe it makes a big difference to the end products taste.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I'll probably add sauce to some of it.

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    tbob4 And I thought this site was all about bringing in science and getting rid of superstition!

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    That’s funny!

• tbob4
    replied
    Are you adding any sauce, onions, peepers, etc? If so, you might find that no salt is needed so I agree with everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    replied
    I might be reading this wrong, but I think folks are telling you to throw salt over your shoulder.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Used to sling beer in a men's room every table had a salt shaker on it for the old timers drinking draft....spritz of salt, tap the rim with the shaker, down the hatch....
    No lime in a Corona back then, men were men, woman were women, a darn good arrangement

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here