Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forgot to Salt the Pork Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to Salt the Pork Shoulder

Not only did I not get a chance to dry brine as I normally do I did not apply salt when I applied the rub. It's been smoking over night and is about to enter the stall. I don't plan to wrap but need to decide if I should salt the exterior now or add salt to taste as I pull the pork. What would you do?

Salt to taste. Always a sure bet.

K.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus 1. Salt to taste later.

Salt to taste. I even sprinkle in a little rub to the pulled pork on occasion.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard of doing this, but never thought to try it. But then again, I sauce my pulled pork so I add flavor and seasoning that way.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      +2 I usually add rub to taste.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      If memory serves me well Frozen Smoke never added rub on his butts before smoking and only added to the pulled pork afterwards. 
      I do rub mine before smoking but add a bit more after pulling and I believe it makes a big difference to the end products taste.

That sounds like a good dilemma. Salt to taste.
    BTW is you add a little salt to your beer you will get a little head. Hence the phrase, "What do you want, a little salt in your beer?".

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget to sprinkle some on your napkin / coaster. It'll keep them from sticking to the bottom of the glass / can.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Somebody once asked me if I was superstitious when they saw me sprinkling salt on the napkin, HawkerXP. The more you know...

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Used to sling beer in a men's room every table had a salt shaker on it for the old timers drinking draft....spritz of salt, tap the rim with the shaker, down the hatch....
      No lime in a Corona back then, men were men, woman were women, a darn good arrangement

Salt to taste and don’t forget the lime and the tequila,,,,

Comment

Did anyone mention salt to taste?

Comment

Salt to taste so you can taste the Salt!

Comment

Feed it to the dogs.

OR

salt to taste

Comment

a don't need another opinion, but I agree - salt to taste.

Comment

I might be reading this wrong, but I think folks are telling you to throw salt over your shoulder.

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s funny!

• Jim White
                Jim White commented
                Editing a comment
                tbob4 And I thought this site was all about bringing in science and getting rid of superstition!

Are you adding any sauce, onions, peepers, etc? If so, you might find that no salt is needed so I agree with everyone else.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll probably add sauce to some of it.

i know this is an old post but i just had the same problem. i’m eating 12 lbs of under salted pork butt.. I know it can be salted post smoke but it doesn’t have that exquisite taste of a perfectly dry rubbed and salted piece of meat. Oh well- there’s always next weekend here’s a quote from Snoopy “Learn from yesterday, live for today, look to tomorrow, rest this afternoon”.

Comment

• Sid P
                Sid P commented
                Editing a comment
                Use Meathead’s recommendation of 1/2 tsp of Morton’s Kosher Salt per pound of meat. I round down from that, and the salt level is always good.

Originally posted by mhowo View Post
              i know this is an old post but i just had the same problem. i’m eating 12 lbs of under salted pork butt.. I know it can be salted post smoke but it doesn’t have that exquisite taste of a perfectly dry rubbed and salted piece of meat. Oh well- there’s always next weekend here’s a quote from Snoopy “Learn from yesterday, live for today, look to tomorrow, rest this afternoon”.
              Salt to taste before you stow it away as leftovers. Overnight, with luck, the salt will be absorbed into the meat and the next time you serve it, it should be almost indistinguishable from pork that was brined before cooking. Almost ...

Comment

Mix up a vinegar sauce with some salt and a bit of rub, work that in as you pull it.

Comment

I am going to say salt to taste. It just seems right.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here