Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feels like X-mas came early...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feels like X-mas came early...

...look what my local bbq store just got in! Iberico Pork Belly! I've been digging on various Iberico pork cuts, but have yet to try the pork belly. It's gonna be glorious! What say ye, Troutman ?

This hunk is about 8 lbs. Will report back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	iberico-pork-belly-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.2 KB ID:	958212

Click image for larger version  Name:	iberico-pork-belly-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.0 KB ID:	958211

No words.

Comment

Pork Belly Burnt Ends? Bacon?
      A cliff hanger? Looking forward to your cook.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm, good points. It’s relatively big, so I’m gonna cut it in two. That means I can experiment! Thanks for giving me ideas, I think I’ll make burnt ends on the one half.

I’m jealous.

Comment

In half would be perfect for MH bacon recipe at 4lbs.

Oh, this is gonna be good.

Comment

Since you are cutting it in half, I vote for half bacon, half burnt ends...

Those are the only two things I've made with pork belly, but I am sure there are lots more things to try... I look to Henrik for inspiring cooks with this glorious piece of pork!

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Henrik Can't wait to see how you put a Christmas spin on it!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Recommended Chinese spin: Siu Yuk (crispy roast pork belly).

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I kind of like cutting some off for EdF ‘s idea.

Let’s see, that bacon should be ready in about 8 days .... booking a flight to Stockholm for Dec 27

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            HawkerXP kinda rich for my blood, any crop dusters in the hanger.
            With prevailing winds we should make it in 2-3 weeks

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Count me in for $10

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            For $10 you get the upper wing

Butterfly half for porchetta!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            NOW we're talking! I didn't even think of that! Thank you! Of course I need to make a porchetta!! Brilliant!

Hmm, this Pit is amazing. Thank you all for your input! I've decided to do two dishes:

1. Porchetta
          2. Pork belly X-mas style (Hello sugar coating, hello cinnamon!)

Stay tuned.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
            Deaf Arty commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoa!!! Yesss.

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Hadn't even seen your post until now and am doing a porchetta today as well.

Decisions....so many possibilities and they all will be great.

Comment

8 lbs... So not enough for two then.

Comment

Sure did.
              I love pork belly (picked up 22Kg today) but I doubt I'll ever get the pleasure of savouring Iberico these parts.
              Enjoy.

Comment

That sure don't look like no 8lb to me! I'd'a guessed that was a 2lb'er man. lol

I gotta say, one of my most interesting pork belly experiments I did it 3 ways. Each section got salted, then seasoned differently.

#1 was MMD.
                #2 was a homemade kind of Thai chili sauce with some ginger and soy and LOTS of sriracha and some cayenne. Like this marinade really singed your nose and when tried before marinating it was REALLY hot and nice.
                #3 was plain ol' salt & pepper.

Interestingly, the MMD version was great.
                The Asian chili was ok, had some sweet and VERY LITTLE heat - always seems when I smoke something I've tried to do like this, the heat all but disappears. So weird. Done it several times with ribs trying to come up with a sweet Asian chili BBQ ribs - always turns out NOT spicy.

The S&P was really REALLY good! Like... just letting the flavor of the pork belly shine, it was super savory and yum. I was really surprised, I thought that would be the blandest of them all, but just doing it like Texas brisket style (about that heavy, meaning probably 2:1 pepper to salt) and it rocked! Really allowed the richness of the meat itself to take over and it was SO fatty you needed something sweet to cut it a little bit.

Makes me wanna do it again. It was GOOD.

So there ya go, if you got Iberico pork belly, and you got 8 POUNDS of it, you need to try some plain old smoked with S&P. Period. I was super shocked, but it was really great.
                Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; December 19, 2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, cool to hear the S&P version was so good!

Envious

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here