Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pork Loin "Ham"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Pork Loin "Ham"

So I was at the butcher a bit ago and the pork called out to me. It said... "cure me! Smoke me!" and who am I to refuse?

I have another post to do on the bacon (smoked and double smoked) but I just did some 'ham' and thought you all might like to hear about it.

I had some bacon dry cure left over from the bacon and so I used that. I know, wet cure is what AR uses... but I've used this cure that I got from Ruhlman's Charcuterie book and it works, plus it takes less space in the fridge. The cure is simple - 2:1 salt to sugar, .25% by weight Prague #1 and flavorings. I used pepper and crushed bay leaf. I rubbed a 2.5lb pork loin in that, vacsealed it and left it for 8 days.

Today I pulled it, rinsed and dried it and put it on the old weber with some apple wood chunks. I didnt get before pics but this had a 1/4 fat cap on one side and was otherwise... a pork loin roast. I just sliced off a bit (for science!) and it's... tasty. Really tasty. It's basically Canadian bacon I guess but it's also a but like ham, minus any glazing. I'll slice it thin for some sandwiches, thicker for breakfast and freeze some too.

Straight off the weber :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	956720
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.jpeg
Views:	460
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	956719

I cured and smoked a pork loin into Canadian Bacon a few months ago and it was excellent. Pretty sure this was the recipe I used: https://ruhlman.com/2011/02/16/canad...rining-basics/ Turned out great. I would probably use a bit less garlic next time though.

One of these days I will use some of my bacon dry cure on one and see how it turns out.

A friend of mine just butchered a pig and gave me a couple hams and some hocks to cure and smoke. I am using the cured ham recipe on the free site and have another 10 days of wet brining to go. Never done this before so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Comment

Looks great to me.

Comment

Yum! Fun to do and tastes great!

Comment

Canadian bacon is da bomb. Love the stuff. I cure and smoke pork tenderloins the same way.

Comment

I have a 2.5 lb piece of pork loin in Meathead's cure. Planning to smoke it this weekend. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here