Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very interesting (top secret?) honey baked ham technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interesting (top secret?) honey baked ham technique

I got the go ahead to do a honey baked ham for Christmas! Most people online seem to like Malcom Reed’s version, so I may try that.

BUT, I found this "top secret" video

What do you think? HIGHLY interesting!! Looks so good! What do you think the white and brown mixture was??

I have a grill gun, so this looks very doable for me!!

Hahaha, you need to do this and report back. I'd make the the flame is going before you put it in front of the ham. I have found that if you don't light the flame, then attack the meat, it can pick up the gas taste.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, they’re all torching them full blast going into it!

Also........this is a certified entrance to a rabbit hole. LOL

Comment

I’ve seen another version of this on a TV cooking show (I don’t remember which one) so maybe it’s not so secret anymore.

The white and brown mixture may be a mix of white and brown sugar or confectionery and brown sugar.

Comment

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw someone using this technique on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives about a week ago.

• kjbarth
        kjbarth commented
        Editing a comment
        The DDD episode with honey glazed ham was on again today. The white part of the glaze was regular sugar, the brown part was a mix that had mostly brown sugar.

this video confirms what we saw in the other video. I’m assuming it’s just straight white sugar with a dust of some brown sugar at the end.

I’m assuming they use honey as a binder.

Comment

Honey Ham Burlette,
        Oh man, I would enjoy that with PBR.

Comment

I would not use confectioners (aka powdered) sugar with an open flame like this - it could easily cause an explosion. I am guessing it's either regular white sugar or corn sugar (dextrose). Dextrose is what I use to sear with but not with a live flame at the same time - I dust then torch.

Comment

Here's a video of it being done for real for commercially available hams.

Comment

I did it!!!

certainly could learn and experiment more, but I went for it, and didn’t disappoint! I used a heated honey glazed over the ham, then fired up white sugar. It was awesome!!!!

Comment

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks mighty good, Scott! Methinks you’ve successfully recreated the elusive ham brûlée 😎👍

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here