Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repeat smoking of bacon..... can it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeat smoking of bacon..... can it work?

So I was googling some stuff on smoking and came across an interesting post elsewhere about smoking bacon. This person cold smoked it (yeah I know)... but that's not the interesting part. He cold smoked it FIVE TIMES.

What he was doing was cold smoking for 4 hours then when it got to temp, removing it, chilling it, then repeat it the next day.

Now, I'm not cold smoking my bacon. In fact, some is on the kettle as I type. But one thing about the weber is that it's hard to get it to reliably maintain a temp much lower than 240 or so and at 240 it only takes 1.5-2 hours or so to take the cured belly from fridge temp to 150F and you can only get so much smoke on it that way.

I'm wondering if I can combine the approaches. Smoke it until 150... cool, then refrigerate. Then smoke it again, back up to 150F... and so on for 3-4 applications.

Anyone ever try this? As long as the cool down was quick enough, I can't think of food safety issues - am I missing any?

I've never done bacon, so this is just me making uneducated and random guesses...but would moisture loss be an issue with multiple smokes?

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory your sacrifice is appreciated.
      ๐Ÿ˜€

• Loren
      Loren commented
      Editing a comment
      I cannot express my appreciation for your commitment to science and progress! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I am excited to see pictures and hear about the results

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm the giving kind. It's just my nature. If I have eat several slices of bacon, I'll do it. For Science!

Sure you can. Let me know how it turns out.
    Bacon wrapped in sausage wrapped in bacon is worthy to be paired with PBR.

Comment

After 1 smoke to 155F (took just under 2.5 hours). Both are in the fridge. I have a pork butt to smoke tomorrow and will resmoke one of these, then let both sit in the fridge until the weekend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_131650.jpg Views:	3 Size:	270.7 KB ID:	952995
      Last edited by rickgregory; December 8, 2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Lookin forward to yer experimwnt, anigo...

science !!!

Comment

Sounds like an experiment worth trying to me!

Comment

One of my most favorite things is double smoked polish sausage from a polish deli in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              A&J Polish deli perhaps? Love that place.

• lostclusters
              lostclusters commented
              Editing a comment
              No, it is the old world deli near 76 st and grange.

I got 3 bellies in the fridge I smoked yesterday ready for slicing today. Might just need to cut off a couple pounds and throw them back on for a couple hours tonight. We can compare notes and see if we can come to a consensus.

Comment

All - I posted the results here https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...the-experiment

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here