Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18.5 hours in on pork butt and only at 189.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fracmeister glad to hear it came out well! Sometimes when it takes that long, I get a little nervous, that it might be dried out or something.

My longest butt cook was probably up around 14 hours - brisket around 18 hours. These days, if I get impatient, I bump the heat up to 250, 275 or even 300, to get it done.

Comment

I too find the sale butts at $.99/lb which are bone-in and 8-10lbs.

More than once I ran into the same situation where the internal temp would not rise above 190 for over 12 hours and found that it began to dry out. I now cook with my SnS in the Weber at 250 and wrap when it hits the stall, then take it to just over 200 then it goes in a small cooler for an hour or so. This cook is closer to an 8 hours and what works best for me.

While the bark is softened, the meat is very tender and moist.

Comment

I’m a 17 hour on the smoker for picnic shoulders ( wrap at 14 hours), plus 3 additional hours hours(for 20 total) resting. 225 degrees
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 13, 2020, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I have run into two stalls with a pork a butt before, the second was around 190F, also as your meat rises in temperature it becomes closer to the pit temperature and the rate of heat transfer slows down, so towards the end of the cook I let my pit temperature rise. As Meatheads says pork butts are very forgiving.

Comment

My longest cooks are briskets. I rarely have any cook over 15 hours. I run all of my cooks around 250F and generally turn out either a big pork butt or brisket at around 13-14 hours. Every once in a while I go longer. But have never gone 20 hours when running at 250.

I’m cooking either on my WSM 22 or my Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Just my input
            Last edited by ecowper; December 13, 2020, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here