Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork - Second Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a recipe as a guide, and Not following it to a "T" is a lesson learned. It was for me.

Comment

• DamionMartin
      DamionMartin commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm getting more comfortable with that idea each time I turn it on.

What temp did you take that 3 pound PB to, DamionMartin ? I didn't see it mentioned in your original post. Forgive me if you've already mentioned it somewhere.

I usually buy 8 to 10 lb pork butts and split them in half for more barky surface=flavor. So that 3 pound roast is not really all that small. Since most meats cook by thickness, often a 3 lb roast will take as long as a larger one if the thicknesses are comparable. Usually for me, the half with the bone takes longer than the boneless half.

And as others have said, cook to probe tenderness--start to test around 195° but for the PBs I buy, they almost always end up in excess of 200° internal (202-206°) before I like the way they feel.

Have fun with the next PB cook. You're nearly up the learning curve.

Kathryn

Comment

• DamionMartin
      DamionMartin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fzxdoc, I don't remember the exact temp, but the last photo on the grill was at 195* and I let it stay on for a little while longer. I didn't check once it was inside resting...but it was probe tender when I grabbed it off the grill.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      DamionMartin , you'd be surprised how a few degrees makes a difference when pulling pork or beef.

I learned that with pulled beef using chuck roast: at 203° it was tough as heck to pull, even though it was probe tender. At 207°, it always pulls like buttah. FWIW.

Kathryn

Not much more I can add. Cook to temp and tenderness. Usually @225-275. I don't think I cooked a Butt the same way twice. Keep trying new rubs. Wrap or don't. Always wrap and rest though.

I tend to find that the flavors of the rub tend to get muted during the long cook. I have been spritzing and then adding more (no salt) rub to get more flavor halfway through. I got really great bark by spritzing then just rubbing with turbinado sugar the last hour of the cook.

When I pull the meat I taste a few pieces and will add additional seasoning if I want more flavor. Sometimes I add a splash of vinegar BBQ sauce.

Comment

• DamionMartin
      DamionMartin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks @OldGlory, I didn't wrap and rest...will do that next time. I just put it in the oven (turned off) and let it rest in there so it wasn't taking up counter space. I like the idea of adding more seasoning half way through. I added a little bit more to my second helping.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here