Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like big (pork) butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like big (pork) butts

It's 8AM here and I've got two 9lb pork butts in a new pit, an Oklahoma Joe I got just a few weeks ago.(Yeah, I know, it's a COS but I figure I can cook on anything as long as I can build a fire in it.) Been cooking since midnight and I have an internal temp of 160 and a chamber temp at 225. Most of the night it's been running at 250 give or take.

This rig definitely cooks different than my Chargriller Pro. Doesn't have nearly as many leaks around the lid, but has a LOT of leaks in the firebox, it's a real PITA to keep the temp down where I want it. The rig likes to run a bit on the high side, 275 or so. But overall I'm happy where it's at now.

I'm cooking for about 25 people for a block party today so I'm shooting for being done between 12 noon and 2PM. The two butts are in the stall right now at 160 and I'll wrap (actually put them in aluminum pans covered with foil) when they hit 170. I'll put some butter, molasses and a bit of apple juice in the pans. The drippings will be used as the base for my sauce, of course.

I'll try to get some pics of the finished product, but it's gonna go fast so no promises.

Edit: 10AM now and IT is at 162. The stall will probably end between 11AM and Noon. I should be looking good for being done at around 2PM.

Edit: 11:45 and the temp started rising again about 30 min ago, just hit 167. 2PM is looking real good now.

Edit: 12:30PM just covered them up, now they're on the home stretch and it's easier to resist the temptation to slice some off for lunch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	94624

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	94625

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	94626
    Last edited by boftx; July 4, 2015, 01:33 PM.

Originally posted by boftx View Post
    This rig definitely cooks different than my Chargriller Pro. Doesn't have nearly as many leak around the lid, but has a LOT of leaks in the firebox, it's a real PITA to keep the temp down where I want it. The rig likes to run a bit on the high side, 275 or so. But overall I'm happy where it's at in the stall.
    Nice!
    Like they say it's not the cooker it's the cook and like any new pit some tweaking and you will be stylin.
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; July 4, 2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Folks here said I was insane to use a Chargriller pro as a stick-burner, so I decided to double down with this one.

Sounds like a fun cook. You'll become everyone's favorite neighbor once they taste that pulled pork.

You know the rules are on pictures.... "If there is no pictures, it didn't happen." 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Wartface View Post
      Sounds like a fun cook. You'll become everyone's favorite neighbor once they taste that pulled pork.

You know the rules are on pictures.... "If there is no pictures, it didn't happen." 😎
      I've been cooking' for the neighbors for quite some time now, that's how I get my wood. i trade BBQ for firewood. And one of them wants me to supply BBQ for his bar & grill but I don't want to deal with the headaches that would involve. (Health department, etc.)

Just posted some pics of the rigs and meat.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I know what you mean about the headaches of dealing with health department to become a food supplier. There's a famous deli in my neighborhood. I know the owner and he wanted me to supply him with Brioche buns for his pulled pork sandwiches. I told him I'd teach his people how to make them because I didn't want the hassle.

boftx I'm still looking at that Ok Joe. I also had a CharGriller Pro for several years, sold it when we moved. But I mostly cook just for me, wife, & teenage son so the kettle & SnS are great for us.

Comment

Congrats on the new rig! I don't think you're insane using a cos. You live in Vegas, the hottest locale (besides Phoenix) this side of Pakistan! You'd have more headaches in a cold environment with it. Like mh states in his wood burning article, 275 is often where stickburners like to roll. Sounds like an awesome day. Have a blast!

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          It's been hotter than blazes this year, record breaking June and July is looking to be hotter still. It's been 90 give or take a degree at midnight for almost 4 weeks now. Thankfully today is overcast only gonna be a little over a 100. But we get on the cool side in winter, dropping into the upper 20s at times.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          boftx WOW! Here in MI we have had a VERY mild summer thus far. I think our average highs have been 78-82 the last few weeks. We have had some downright chilly mornings recently, mid 50s and so on. It's unusual for us to have that after mid June. Looks like 88 is coming soon though, and when it's that "hot" here it's muggy too which is no fun. I hope we don't get your heat, with the lakes it is never a dry heat.

Here is the final product (and yes, the bones came out perfectly clean, basically fell out). BTW, I gotta give props to my 16yr old daughter. She asked to take the midnight to 6 shift, first time she has ever tended the fire by herself.

She says this is the best she has ever had.

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	94755

Name:	P1010006.JPG
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	94756

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	94757
        Last edited by boftx; July 4, 2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Nice looking BUTT(s)!!!

I always thought that if I was gonna try out stick burning that I would like an Oklahoma Joe (old one), before I sidled up to Lang or something... I will keeping track of your exploits and impressions of it. Do you have any leak problems that you need to overcome?

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Both the cook chamber and firebox doors could use gaskets, and the ash door is hopeless, but nothing that I can't deal with as is. Just putting a gasket or sealant on the cook chamber door would do a lot all by itself. (It is impossible to seal the leaks on a CharGriller Pro, so I got use to working with major leaks anyway, so this was a step up for me.)

The end result is that it wants to run a bit hotter than I would like, but I hear people cooking at 250 - 275 all the time and with the cuts I like they can take the higher temp and spikes don't affect them that much. I might feel different if I cooked mainly the smaller cuts.

The big difference between the two COS I have is that the Ok Joe is made from heavier sheet metal and has a real door for the cook chamber with the stack coming out the side as opposed to the whole lid raising up with the stack coming out the top. There is less heat difference end-to-end as a result.

The downside is that I would never dream of using the Ok Joe as a grill. So the old rig has been kept for just that purpose and my wife likes using it.

Big bowl o' goodness right there.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            What's funny is that one of the guys who came over has challenged me to a steak cook-off (loser pays for the meat and suitable beverages). He said the pork was good, but he could do better. He didn't sound all that convincing though to the rest of us. He was loading up seconds as he said that and came back for thirds.

boftx you can, if you wanted to, try cutting your firewood logs down a bit smaller. Say, 12" long instead of 16" for instance (or whatever fits the scenario). A smaller fire, still plenty oxygenated and hot, would give you slightly lower temps. Or, just adjust things for 250-275 cooks!

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the trick is going to be finding the right diameter logs to use so they are fully combusting without a flame. That's what I did in the CharGriller Pro. 10" would probably be better than 14", too. The air-flow in the firebox seems different judging from how ash buildup affects burn efficiency and having more space from the damper would help, I think.

Originally posted by boftx View Post

I've been cooking' for the neighbors for quite some time now, that's how I get my wood. i trade BBQ for firewood. And one of them wants me to supply BBQ for his bar & grill but I don't want to deal with the headaches that would involve. (Health department, etc.)

Just posted some pics of the rigs and meat.
          I am sure it is different in different places, but when I looked into it here in Oregon it was not as bad as I thought. You have to have a food handler's card, which is an easy online class/exam and $10, then all prep and cooking of things that will not be cooked outside has to happen in a licensed facility. But it doesn't have to be your licensed facility. Around here there you can rent a decked-out, licensed and insured commercial kitchen for $15/hr. Go there, prep, put everything on ice, bring it home, smoke it, straight into holding cabinet (my county requires a heat source for holding, can't just do a regular [or faux] cambro) and good to go.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here