Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork loin ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been wanting to try something for a while but have not gotten around to it. Plus I have no idea how it will turn out. I want to take a portion of a pork loin, slice it into thick chops, and marinate in something along the lines of a huli huli sauce. Then cook it on a rotisserie with fresh pineapple slices in between each of the chops. In my mind it sounds great, in reality it may not work too well, but there is only one way to find out.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Kind of a like tacos al pastor? The concept at least is similar. I bet it would be great!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds delishuss, willin to help ya dispose of th evidence, amigo!

Sounds like to have a good handle on the different way to prepare pork loin.
    Maybe you may want to try one of different food cultures from around the World.

Comment

I did this on Halloween.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_173055_2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	937960

Name:	20201031_182132_2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	937961

Name:	20201031_193207_2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	937962

Name:	20201031_193751_2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	937963

Name:	20201031_194547_2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	937964

Name:	20201031_195045_2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	937965

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Dayumm! I shoulda swung by, Trick or Treated yer house...

A smoked pork loin thinly sliced makes great sandwiches. something like that I think is often overlooked.

Comment

I don't understand pork loin. Seems like it has to be drowned in sauce or wrapped in bacon because it's so lean and flavorless. What am I missing?

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing. I will say that pastured pork raised on small farms has a much more pronounced flavor. But it's a lot like lean top sirloin etc.

I tend to brine it, rub or butterfly it or smoke it and slice for sandwiches.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Blank Canvas, Tabula Rasa. Same same like boneless skinless chx breasts.
          Marinade. Season. Make it anything ya want it to be. Globe is yer palette...
          I often smoke em up whole, some, then cut chops from, sear to happy place...

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Chicken breast is a good comparison. I like chicken breast.

I cooked one today on my Traeger for Cuban sandwiches. Trimmed and tied roast, mustard and heavy BBQ rub, Traeger at 250 until I hit 110 degrees. Then cranked Traeger to 450 and brushed with olive oil and garlic until it hit 140 degrees. Let rest for an hour or so and then deli sliced for the sandwiches. Used nice and soft Italian bread for the mustard, ham, pork, swiss, pickles and into the press for 5 minutes. Pork was tasty!

Comment

My favorite pork loin cook is Steven Raichlen's Pork Loin Ruben: https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/pork-loin-reuben/

If you search for Project Fire Episode 106, you can see how he makes it.

Comment

• Whiskeyman53
            Whiskeyman53 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree 100%, I made pork loin ruben and it was fantastic. Stop at 140 degrees, don't let it go to 145. The 5 degrees is a huge difference with lean pork.

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here. I made it and followed the recipe to take off at 155*. Next time I'll stop at 140*. A fun cook though.

Our go to for pork loin is sous vide then sear on the plancha. Tender and moist.

Comment

My personal favorite for pork loin is a stuffed loin. I make my own stuffing, wet brine the loin. Then cut the pork loin open (leaving a hinge of meat) and stuff it. Tie it with butcher’s twine. Give it a good hit of MMD. Cook it to 140 IT, then paint it with Carolina Gold and sear on all sides. Meanwhile, cook the remainder of the stuffing in the oven, get some sides going (green beans or Brussels sprouts work great). Slice the loin about an inch thick, serve with extra stuffing and a great side.

Name:	0AE73AF6-94F5-4CED-B5EF-ED3F658B1DA4.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	940596

Name:	B45F8D16-D137-4A9C-80DE-0ABD60099DDF.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	940595

Name:	74A70CC3-467F-47E9-9931-6E9217541D90.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	940597

Name:	EFAFD96A-6A81-4E6D-B850-FEDACF463370.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	940599

Name:	C9200BCD-497F-4236-AA47-2D7244A96FA4.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	940598

Comment

I fixed a Char Siu pork tenderloin tonight and it came out really good. The same recipe would work for pork loin...I got the recipe from Sam the Cooking Guy...

https://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbo...?rq=char%20siu

Name:	125565299_205576200928821_585821928556642142_o.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	941104
              Attached Files

Comment

• gabulldog
                gabulldog commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks great. I like Sam, but his videos are too long, he needs to edit them down. I find that 6 mins is about as long as I can pay close attention!

I’m with ecowper.
              I just tried this out on Saturday with the smoked stuffed pork loin recipie found here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ork-loin-roast .
              It was a huge hit.
              Keep the smoke really light. I have an electric smoker and only put in a 1/2 cup of wood chips right off the bat which was just right flavor wise.
              The big error I made was I made the dressing recipie with the eggs and used that for stuffing the pork. After having done that I realized I needed to cook it up to 160 because of the egg so the pork was a bit more dried out than I hoped. So **hot tip*** make the dressing and set some aside for the pork and then add the egg for the muffins. Or forgo the egg and just pan cook the dressing, but the muffins are cute.
              In spite of the forced overcooking it was still amazingly tasty and there have been requests for a repeat in the near future.

Comment

Ask troymeister for his latest pork loin cook. Very Eastern European.
                cuban sandwiches, I have a great recipe.
                porchetta all day!

Comment

Some great ideas on this thread! I buy whole and half pork loins all the time as they seem to be on sale just about every other week. At $0.99/lb, it's too good to pass up. I usually just slice the whole thing into chops, put them in freezer bags 4-5 chops per bag and stack them in the freezer. I load up on the Ken's Steakhouse "Simply Vinegarette" line of salad dressings, squeeze half a bottle into a bag in the morning and leave in the fridge to thaw for dinner. Grill them up with a box of rice and some frozen veggies and in 10 mins you've got one of the quickest, tastiest and most simple meals for the money out there. My week night go to, for sure. My wife's too! Below pic was her doing when I was saddled with the Rona a few weeks back and quarantined in the guest room. Not bad for a meal on a tray left at the doorway, prison-style!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here