Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointing ribs & the breakfast of champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointing ribs & the breakfast of champions

Since this weekend is probably the last one before the weather gets nasty, I decided to make St. Louis ribs yesterday.

Bought the ribs at my local butcher like usual, and they turned out great, except for one thing. There was hardly any meat on them! The rib tips, however, were nice and had lots of meat.

Anyone run into this before where the ribs have hardly anything, but the tips have lots of meat?

Oh, the breakfast of champions? I had some leftover rib tips and beans along with a couple of eggs for breakfast. Yum!

Never had the rib problem. Love the breakfast idea though. Hey, breakfast for dinner, dinner for breakfast, whatever. Good food is good food anytime of day right? 👍👏

Comment

andy.wpg the definition of "breakfast of champions" must vary by location. When I was living in Albuquerque NM a few years ago (a few miles southwest of you) the breakfast of champions was menudo. Having tried both I prefer yours.

Comment

• wu7y
        wu7y commented
        Editing a comment
        And I have been wondering how many of us know what EN19MV is. Are you a ham operator by any chance?

• andy.wpg
        andy.wpg commented
        Editing a comment
        wu7y. Yes I am. You’re the first to mention it. Anyone wondering can look up "maidenhead locater system" on Google.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I am HAM.
        Ham I am.
        I do not like green eggs an SPAM.

Growing up where I did, breakfast of champions was Coors!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        An Bob Wills Music, Brother Troutman

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Molson Export up here.
        Great on Corn Flakes

• high plains griller
        high plains griller commented
        Editing a comment
        Always thought Breakfast of Champions was Budweiser and Wheaties.

I've had thin ribs on occasion. Probably an athletic hog. Tennis player maybe?

Comment

Ribs in the store that are thin, oh well. IMO it’s ribs from a premium source, that you paid a lot for and came with a hefty shipping charge, that really freezer burn my hamburger meat. Nothing like a $20 slab of Kurobuta shiners.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          True that.

If you bought them from a local butcher you should complain. Plus the fact that if you buy from a butcher they are not in shrink wrap, didn't you see them before you paid??

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
          If you bought them from a local butcher you should complain. Plus the fact that if you buy from a butcher they are not in shrink wrap, didn't you see them before you paid??
          Unfortunately, this guy keeps the ribs in a styro tray with plastic wrap on it. Can’t really examine them.

I’ll just go to the other one from now on. It’s a lot further, but the ribs are in the open in the display case, then they wrap ‘em. Lesson learned. This guy is just really close to my house.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d try talking to him before you give up. Especially if he’s close. Tell him your experience and ask him if he’ll cut you some to show you before he packages them. All he can do is say no. Maybe it was a one time thing. Sometimes all it takes is a friendly conversation.
            Last edited by Panhead John; November 9, 2020, 08:47 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here