Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once the pork butt is done...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once the pork butt is done...

How long should I wait before pulling it apart with Bear Paws? Right away? 30 minutes? Dinner time is whenever the butt is ready to serve. Thanks.

I would let it rest for at least an hour

Comment

Thanks, DWCowles.
      One more question if I may...What is it about not wanting pork butts dipping under 140 degrees Fahrenheit while in a Faux Cambro?

Comment

140 is the minimum safe holding temp for cooked foods.

Comment

Thank you, jholmgren.

Comment

Holding temp. It is also a pretty great temperature to serve pulled pork. IMHO

Comment

Technically hot holding for foods is above 135. I would rather my meat not dip too far under 150, for food safety, and what fracmeister mentioned. Hotter stuff really pulls better.

Comment

I have found that it can depend on how long your pb takes to cook too. If you cook it unwrapped and it takes 14, 16 18 hrs, it'll likely be ready to pull when you remove it from the heat. If you wrap it, and it cooks more like 8, 9, or 10hrs, it'll likely need some more time in the cambro like the others have mentioned. It's one of those things where once you do a few you'll learn how it works out for your chosen techniques. Most microbes like to do their jiggy little thing from 40F-135, 140F. That's why a very warm hold or refrigeration is your only two safe choices.

Comment

Well I now can say that I've successfully smoked my first pork butt. My wife and picky 11-year old daughter absolutely loved it. My favorite part was the shards of bark...what flavor!!! I started the smoke at around 8am with my new Smoke N' Sear. The stall started at 11am and stopped at around 5:30pm. The internal temp reached 203F at 6:45pm with a consistent external temp between 225-250F. Here are some pics from tonight's dinner...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Once again, thanks @PitBoss for such a great product.

Comment

Wow, olvrab00 , you got some great-looking bark on that PB and a pretty smoke ring too. Nice job!

How often did you have to add more charcoal?

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks, Kathryn. I have never had pb before. Thank God for this website. I wouldn't have been able to pull it off without amazingribs.com and the Smoke 'N Sear.

I had to add charcoal only one time. I initially lit 12 briqs of Kingsford (blue bag) charcoal and put them all on one side of Smoke 'N Sear (SNS) at about 7:30am. I then filled the SNS (with about 68 unlit briqs) and placed water in the reservoir. This setup lasted until about 4:30pm (7 hours burn time; pretty windy here). At 4:30 I added another 12 lit briqs, refilled the SNS with about 30 unlit briqs, and refilled the water reservoir.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here