Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs then Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs then Sauce

I make my own rubs, often making Memphis Dust or other great recipes on this site. My question is that with so much emphasis on the rubs, are there do's and don'ts in terms of which sauces go better or worse with rubs such as Memphis Dust or Scott's Dry Rub? I typically use store bought sauces on top of these rubs but wonder if there is a better approach. Thanks.

IMO if you add sauce to the whole rack, you're negating much of the details of the rub you used. Dipping into some on your plate, that might retain more rub character. Which go best with which, well IMO I say forget the smoky storebought sauce on ribs you've smoked for real.

Comment

On the side. I'm not big into saucing anything during the cook. I look at them as condiments to be used sparingly.

Comment

I make my own sauce and it goes great with Memphis Dust. However, I add liquid smoke to the sauce because I like the way the sauce tastes on other things that aren't smoked, such as burgers.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Same.

I try to dry on half and sauce the other half, my wife and daughter prefer them sauced, son just wants food, I swing both ways.

Comment

Try this if you haven’t. I serve it on the side. My wife, who doesn’t really like too many sauces, loves this.

Say so long to bottled BBQ sauce and hello to amped up homemade Kansas City-style sauce with this step-by-step recipe. Thick and sweet, Kansas City barbecue sauce has been a crowd favorite since the introduction of KC Masterpiece in the 70s. Our delicious recipe features multiple layers of flavors, sweets, and heats.

Comment

MMD is a versatile rub that I find works with all the North American tomato and vinegar-based sauces and mops. You might be going off in the weeds with an Asian sauce or chimichurri, or maybe not. I like to put white sauce normally meant for chicken on beef.

Comment

I personally prefer dry rub ribs, with sauce on the side. BUT to please the wife, and guests, I end up saucing ribs.

I know there are fancy sauces out there,and I used to take the time to make my own, BUT I've been REAL happy with the HEB line of sauces. The Texas Style is spot on. Kentucky bourbon was delicious. I just picked up the Texa Houli but haven't tried it yet.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20201030_101012.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	931459
              Last edited by BFlynn; October 30, 2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

My Black Swan Sweet Cognac Sauce pairs nicely with Memphis Dust.
                Great on the grill or in the kitchen: you can cook with it because it’s real sauce made from fresh pureed vegetables!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Max Good; October 30, 2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I’m a vinegar style sauce person, as I like the balance it provides to the fatty goodness most BBQ is. I also feel this style of “sauce’ if you will, allows the rub and smoke to stand out.

I use this as a add as you go, so perhaps a little on a bite here and there. Or a small drizzle on what I served myself. And these vinegar sauces are so easy to make!

My favorite, probably are Lexington Dip or East Carolina Mop Sauce, both from this site.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here