Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finish line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finish line

I've got a 7 1/2 lbs pork butt on the grille and its 8:10AM. I'm 9 hrs into the cook and the butt is a 180 currently without using a crutch. Temp has been a steady 220-230 the entire cook on a Weber Genesis. Guests start to arrive at noon and probably will want to eat soon after that. What would the experts here do to finish this butt and get it to the eaters in the best shape? Wrap it or just leave it be?

Wrap it and pump up the temp

Comment

Depends on how long you want to rest, you can either wrap it and keep at the same temp and only give it a small rest, or wrap and crank it to 275-300 and have 1-1.5 hours to rest. You are past the stall, unless you hit another which isn't that common, so the last 20 degrees can go really quickly.

To that last point, I think I might decide to let it ride myself, I think it could make it. If you could go 250 I bet that would finish it unwrapped.

Comment

I almost always get a second stall, so I would wrap it, go to warp and get a decent rest in.

Comment

If I was doing it in my PBC, I'd follow _John_ 's game plan, mostly because I know for sure that guy has cooked more PBs than I've worn socks. The other recommendations are great, too. You have to do what is the most comfortable for you.

If you'd like the peace of mind, then richinlbrg and grantw offer sage advice. For me it would depend on who the guests were--if it was my Mother-in-Law, I'd wrap and rest for sure. If it was my gal pals and their husbands, I'd lay out the snacks and beer just in case and carry on, PB unwrapped.

I remember that David Parrish once recommended to me that if I have fewer than 4 hours until the food has to be served, then wrapping is the only way to go.

Having done it both ways, if I can make it happen, I MUCH prefer an unwrapped PB. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, tho', since at the end of the day, it's all good!

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; June 28, 2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I let it ride and ended up at 197 at noon. Pulled it off the grill and rested it in a 180 oven. It was gone in 15 minutes after I shredded it. Thanks to everyone for the advise.

Comment

Oh... I went to 250 as John suggested 😀

Comment

Sounds like the timing was perfect, ronpaternoster , and the results were great. Congrats on a fine cook!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here