Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing a pork butt and freezing it for family vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing a pork butt and freezing it for family vacation

We are preparing for a vacation with extended family at a rental lake home. The house only has an old gas grill. My siblings want me to fix a pork butt for pulled pork. I think I would rather smoke the pork butt on my Camp Chef pellet smoker (at least part way) and then vacuum seal it and freeze it and then finish it in an oven, than try to make a pork butt on a gas grill or in an oven. I'm trying to decide how far along I should cook this pork butt before I stop and freeze it. I've read an article here about someone that cooks his pork butt to 175 degrees and then puts his pork butt in an ice bath and finishes it the next day. It may also work to fully freeze the pork butt after reaching 175 degrees. I have also considered only smoking the pork butt for a few hours to get a good smoke ring, and then freezing it, and finishing it in the oven. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions about the best way to fix a pork butt a week or two in advance, freezing it, and still have good pulled pork when you reheat and finish it.

Hmmm... I guess in a pinch it could be done. I wouldn't be interested in that cook.

I'd be more likely to do some chuck roast's on the gasser. You could probably get 6/9lbs on that old gasser. Make 2 with BBBR and 1 with Memphis Dust.

Your siblings will think you are a BBQ Master!

Comment

If I were doing it I would cook the pork all the way, make up a couple batches of Meathead's homemade sauces, pull the pork and mix up a couple different batches of pulled pork, freeze it, and make sandwiches at the rental home. The smell of the pulled pork heating up will drive them crazy and you don' have to worry about the final product and can enjoy being with family. that's just how I have done it for our family vacations.

Comment

I firmly believe you could cook it just as you normally do. When it is done, let it cool a bit, then break it down into serving portions, then freeze it. When you are ready to eat it, put in aluminum foil and wrap tight. Put in oven on 275 until it is warmed. Break out and serve. I do this at home with my leftovers, so I can always grab some Q when I get the urge, but don't have the time for a full cook. I have found that if it were properly prepared from the beginning, it will be very very tasty (almost just as tasty) as just out of the cambro.

Comment

I like dereklhall s idea... I do it much the same way.... if you really want to make them crazy, thaw it out and heat back up in a Dutch oven over the fire!

Comment

I've only done this once but it turned out pretty good. I cooked the butts through and then pulled the meat as normal. I then broke them down into 1/2- and 1-pound bags, adding some juice from the drippings to keep everything moist. The bags froze well and reheated easily. You'd probably want some bigger bags.

Comment

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice. I will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

I have been selling pulled pork at our local farmers market every Saturday and I use Ernest method. I smoke the butts and then pull them and put the meat and some of the drippings in a ziplock freezer bags and refrigerate or throw in cooler with ice water. If I'll need them more than a day or two from when they are done I vacuum seal them and then freeze them, otherwise I just use the ziplock freezer bags.. I reheat using a cooler full of water heated to around 150 F. People rave about both the meat and the sauces. I make the Carolina mustard sauce from this site and a "spicy" bbq sauce of my own making. I also usually put a pan of beans under the butts to catch some smoke and butt drippings and they are amazing too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here