Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Pig Came in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Pig Came in

Got my suckling pig! It is a 20lber, doing an open charcoal charcoal rotisserie.... Still nervous about not knowing how long it will take - thinking 2.5 hrs.

Thoughts/ tips/ tricks?

I will be updated on Saturday with I start it.
    Attached Files

My only thought is that I need to be there to help you eat it.

Comment

Very anxious to see how this turns out for you! Please keep us posted with lots of details and photos please!

Comment

I did that in June. These were my notes:

Saturday morning I injected the hams and shoulders with pure apple juice, and rubbed the inside with Memphis Dust.
        Was on the grill at 9:00 AM, and took it off at 6:00 PM, so it did run a little longer than expected. Final temp was 186 in the hams and 191 in the shoulders.

Very tender meat.
        Very little fat. Even the bacon was almost non existent.
        Fed 5 children and 4 adults with enough left over to feed them another two meals!

Good day, folks. So - I've committed myself to something totally new for me. I bought a piglet... We're killing it tonight, and I plan to cook it this weekend. I guess I need some advice. I'm planning to scald it to get rid of the hair tonight, and then it will sit in the fridge until Friday or Saturday. Where do I go

Give yourself more time than 2.5 hours...
        Attached Files

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing like picking off a whole pig. Last time I had one - some cousins made one - I don't think I ever got a plate. Just stood around pulling pieces off the thing.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          No head? No apple in its mouth. Oh My.
          I thought a whole pig was done when it can't look at you any more.
          I like to eat dead pig.
          Maybe paired with white BBQ sauce and PBR.

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          Man that looks good. Thanks for the pics. I've never been interested in this but this post and your pictures have me thinking.

Save the brains for scrambled eggs and brains.

Comment

Every time I've done a pig, it takes longer than expected....especially with an open rotisserie. I'd leave myself a few hours just in case

Comment

Thanks! The rental spit came in. Not in the best shape, the gear is missing some sprockets but it will work. I am going to set it up some the faster rotation section in the feet.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JMuseum; October 23, 2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I'm following this post to see how it goes. Thanks for posting your progress - keep it coming and good luck on your cook.

Comment

Ok so the results are in and sorry for the bad quality photos!
                • It tasted like really good pulled pork. Seems obvious, but the best way I can describe it is serving pulled pork with a memorable presentation. I was happy with it. I served it with a both a KC and Carolina BBQ sauce.
                • I have no idea how hot my pit was. It was open air, spinning, and 65 degrees F out. Both my oven thermometer, and the digital one I tried to rig up told me it was around 160F, but I felt it was much hotter. This was confirmed by my cooking time of about 2.5-3 hrs. The 1:15 per ten pounds seems to be true. Once the pig reached 165F, I turned my gas grill to 500 and got the skin crispy.
                • I think I will stuff it next time, and yes, I may do it again, but post COVID so I can get a much bigger pig.
                Overall, I am pretty happy with the results and process. Thanks everyone!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by JMuseum; October 26, 2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Awesome. I did the same 2 years ago. Getting the temp up at the end was the hardest part - wasn't expecting the ash buildup from the briquettes, so wasn't adequately prepared, which really limited the heat to crisp up the skin how I wanted it.

Comment

It looks like you got a great result. Nice job. I know that pig is in no shape to harm anyone but it looks pretty scary in that photo with the foil on the ears.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice job!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here