Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Tips on Low and Slow With Lump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Tips on Low and Slow With Lump?

I normally use lump and, hoping for less ash buildup, would love to try it low and slow. I'm aware that's not normally recommended. But I want to take the plunge to see for myself. Anybody have any expectations or tips to share, or am I crazy even to try?

I have used lump many times for low n slow in my kettle and wsm, I have set it up soo donut method in wsm and for the kettle I used sns and lit several pieces on one side then filled the rest up with unlit coals so it burned from one side to the other.
    I like lump for a different flavor profile and cleaner burn. Give it a try !!

Comment

I have used it in my wsm several times. I noticed that it burned with less ash, but it burned quicker than a load of KBB. I didn't notice a change in the flavor profile though.

Comment

There’s no difference from a flavor perspective or at least I have not noticed one. The differences are mainly the ash cleanup as you mentioned plus the lump will burn faster so you may need to refill sooner than you would with briquettes. Generally briquettes are preferred for low and slow because they last longer so they are more cost effective. However if you value the less cleanup and the quick start up times of lump, then lump is very good.

Personally, I plan to use only lump going forward for all cooks.

Comment

99% of the time I use lump for low and slow. Usually FOGO yellow bag which has big chunks. Works great. I only use briquettes when I am out of lump. I Don't know why you think it is not recommended?

Comment

• fkrall
            fkrall commented
            Editing a comment
            I've understood not recommended because its random piece size and quicker burn vs. KBB make it more finicky and less predictable. Based on these responses, that appears to be a much smaller hurdle than I assumed. After reading them, I'm only too happy give lump a try low and slow!

I had used KBB for years and switched over to Jealous Devil lump for my WSM this summer. Love the lump, you get a smaller hotter fire with way less cleanup. I've done a couple of 8-10 hour cooks and there is always a bunch leftover in the charcoal ring to reuse. Still use KBB for quick grilling in my kettle, its a little easier to get an even heat I find.

Comment

What are you using it in?

Comment

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, I should have specified! Weber 22 with SnS

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              OK.

My experience is that you won’t get any real benefit from switching to lump. There are differences, but they are nuances. But, give it a shot and see how it works for you.

I switched to hardwood lump in my PK360 back in August and I love it. One of the things I really like is that on short cooks I shut the intakes and the exhaust down completely and that puts the lump fire out completely, saving the remainder of the lump charcoal. I shake out the ashes and use that lump on the next cook. I feel like I'm using a lot less charcoal and I don't have the big accumulation of ash. However, I don't typically go low and slow on the PK, so I can't really offer any tips on using lump for low and slow.

Comment

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              I do the same on my Weber. My question was prompted by speculating on how difficult it would be to burn KBB on an overnight brisket cook, assuming I'd wake up to a cold fire and lukewarm brisket. Need more daytime experience first!

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I can't see a good way to do a set it and forget it brisket cook using lump, but I could be wrong! If someone has done it, you've come to the right place :-)

I think Meathead like briquettes because each briquette is uniform and represents a standard measure of energy. He can count out 40 briquettes and know exactly how hot and how long they will burn.

Lump does not offer that same level of precision but I think it burns cleaner and does add some additional flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here