Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Extra Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Extra Pork Belly

What to do with this extra piece of pork belly? I started my next batch of bacon, 3 x 3 lb slabs as usual. And have about a 1 lb chunk left over because I couldn’t find a 9 lb slab of belly.

Any ideas? I’ve considered burnt ends style as an option, but I’m open to great ideas. Going to do it next weekend for an appetizer.

You can see the chunk off to the side. And yes, a Knob Creek old fashioned is coming right after I get the belly in the cure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54A254B0-0A24-41C6-A4A5-8E690DAA5828.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	925758
    Last edited by ecowper; October 18, 2020, 03:14 PM.

Bahn mi

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Could do that as an appetizer, not a sammich, even

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything but the roll.

Dice it up, sizzle it up with some white onion, then add some fresh green beans an butter...
    Serve once beans git tender.
    An save me a shot of KCR, please, Brotherman...

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      If you’re ever in my neck of the woods, we are sitting in the backyard with the smoker going and some knob creek

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Reciprocal Deal, my Brother!
      Anytime.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      LOVE LOVE LOVE me some KCR!

Braised Asian Pork Belly https://tasteasianfood.com/braised-pork/

Comment

Northern Thai Pork Belly Curry (Gaeng Hung Ley).

Comment

Great minds think alike. Have 8.3 lbs of bacon curing now. Need some snacks while pheasant hunting next weekend!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm leaning heavily toward @Hoovarmin's recipe as an appetizer on Saturday. I'm making Cassoulet and want a nice app while we smell it cooking

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          I like where your head is at on that!

Good looking bellies.
        If you have never tried rashers cooked over a live fire then give it a bash. I cut mine about 1/4 inch thick. I use a shop bought honey and mustard basting that I apply while flipping.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Now there’s an idea too. Have to cut off a hunk of the belly just for that next time.

Great ideas so far, keep ‘em coming!

Comment

Pork belly burnt ends get my vote.
          what is the source for the meat, if you please. Thank you in advance.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I buy pork belly at Costco. I can get full bellies in cryovac, in the 9-10 lb range

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Costco, Thanks, sure looks good, the wagyu of pork.
            I joined Costco because of the meat, should have known. LOL

Dice really small, fry in a bit of your favorite BBQ sauce. Pat dry. Roll in soft cheese. Stuff in peppers. Smoke. Haven’t done it with diced pork belly but I would love you to experiment.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool Idea, Brotherman!

If you're looking to make appetizers:

Kakuni or Japanese Braised Pork Belly is slow-cooked chunks of succulent meat in a delicious soy sauce glaze that simply melts in your mouth.

Comment

Honestly, I jsut like to throw a sugary rub on an extra slab and smoke it. It is so damn good that way. Nice and simple. Of course, PBBEs are always hit, but not so easy to make.

Comment

Siu Yuk (crispy belly). Char Siu for a backup (less work, roasted).

Comment

The sauce burnt end style belly bites are so good and such a crowd-pleaser. I guess that would be my vote but I'm loving all these ideas on this thread.

Comment

Well, I finally am using up some of that extra pork belly I’ve had in the freezer for a while. I decided for this one I’d cook the pork belly like in Meathead’s Banh Mi recipe, but just serve the chunks of pork belly as appetizers.

So far, pretty amazing. I’m cooking on the Hasty-Bake, running it around 250-260. I cut a 2 lb strip of pork belly into one inch chunks, applied the rub about 2 hours before going on to cook.

Here they are just ready to go on Hasty-Bake

Name:	AFEAC3BF-996D-48D6-8F1B-8F44E58DD7C4.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	1013051

On the Hasty-Bake to cook

Name:	198FDC29-96FE-4C08-A667-B900AF996A8D.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	1013052

An hour in to the cook

Name:	34805C80-2B18-4E98-B9F3-78635202C396.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1013050

After two hours, pulled to glaze

Name:	2572B12E-3924-49E2-90C7-B6D408686538.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1013053

In the glaze, then I wrapped the pan in foil and put it back on the Hasty-Bake

Name:	19E94F15-6F34-40F8-8952-AF15AF534E6E.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	1013054

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That really is a great recipe.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CaptainMike I can tell by the way the Labs are circling around the Hasty-Bake

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here