Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St louis cut pork ribs, my best ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St louis cut pork ribs, my best ever

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201017_193152.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	925233Click image for larger version  Name:	20201017_185010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	925234Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20201017-201952_Evernote.jpg Views:	0 Size:	273.8 KB ID:	925235 These are the best ribs I've ever done.
    225° for about 7 hours. No wrap during cook. No sauce added during cook. Wrapped with foil and put in cooler for an hour to rest. Bite cleaning of the bone. Took them off as soon as the brake test passed. Inside temp was unimportant but it was only around 178°. Brake test is what's important.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201017_082427.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	925232
    Last edited by Joetee; October 17, 2020, 06:30 PM.

Those look good, real good, the only thing I would add is PBR Tall Boys.

Comment

• RobB757
      RobB757 commented
      Editing a comment
      This man knows quality beer!

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      That has me drooling.

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
    Those look good, real good, the only thing I would add is PBR Tall Boys.
    My choice is makers mark bourbon.

Comment

Great looking ribs. I would have to add some Allspice and great job with the Thyme!

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        I add allspice in my rib rub as well.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Great looking ribs. I would have to add some Allspice and great job with the Thyme!
      Thanks. I did the same ribs 3 weeks in a row to try and master them. First two weeks were ok but I really didn't like them. I tried fixing what I thought was the problem until I mastered them. This was my very best and I can't think of anything I want to change. I took good notes so I can make them again.

Comment

• JaySwen
        JaySwen commented
        Editing a comment
        What problems did you think you had? What did you do to correct them?

Outstanding looking ribs ..... I’m gonna give that rub a try, it sounds like it has all the right things :-)

Comment

Great looking ribs!

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
          Outstanding looking ribs ..... I’m gonna give that rub a try, it sounds like it has all the right things :-)
          I've been using memphis dust for a couple years and I think I'm tired of it. I found this rub recipe and thought I'd try it. It's amazing. I really like how it came out.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds awesome and worth a try for sure

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            I kind of agree.... been using MMD for probably... 6+ years, I think. Wife loves it, and I usually do, but I'm getting a bit tired of the same flavor profile. I need to shake things up a bit. I've got some STL in the <gasp!> OVEN right now with some MMD, some fresh garlic, onion and a squeezed lemon all wrapped up. Gonna open up in a half hour, empty some liquid, throw on some sauce and broil them. That oughtta be different enough from the dry rub only way we normally do on the smoker.

Great looking ribs!
          I'm brand new to smoking - the Yoder arrives soon.

Question - What's the "brake test"?

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I think he meant 'break', although I've most often seen it called the bend test. START to pick up from one end (not RIGHT on the end, maybe 1/3 of the way from one end) and see if they begin to crack from their own weight. If yes, they're done. Some people do it at halfway, whatever. The point is, they're tender. lol

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            That's right. The bend test. I was lost for words. To much Bourbon. Lol

Originally posted by Raven Rock View Post
          Great looking ribs!

Question - What's the "brake test"?
          Maybe it's break test and not brake. LOL. I pick up the rack of ribs offset from the middle with tongs and give them a little bounce. If the surface does not crack a bit they are not done. When the surface cracks open a bit you should be able to bite the meat cleanly off the bone with out the fall off the bone effect.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Break test is more than reliable, in my case I prefer the toothpick test.
            A test I neglected to do on todays rib cook by the way.
            Today was the look test, my wife gave me the I'm hungry now look and I served em up....

• Raven Rock
            Raven Rock commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Smokin' Fool -
            The toothpick test? Do tell.....

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Toothpick test is poking a toothpick between the ribs. If it goes through like butter you are done! Raven Rock

Very nice looking ribs. Great cook and job.

Comment

Great looking ribs
            Nice cook

Comment

I agree with everyone - great lookin' ribs.

Comment

Excellent looking ribs.
                Thanks for sharing the rub. I like you have only ever used MMD and am needing a change for a change's sake.

Comment

Great ribs!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here