Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine Pork Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine Pork Ribs

How long should one dry brine St. Louis style ribs also should they only be salted on the meat side? Please exclude baby backs unless it is noted that timing is for Baby Backs.

12 hours should be enough, IMHO. Longer won't hurt. Overnight is generally what I do. By the way, baby backs are basically the same. It's not an exact science. I always do the bone side of ribs as well as the meat side after I peel the membrane.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
      12 hours should be enough, IMHO. Longer won't hurt. Overnight is generally what I do. By the way, baby backs are basically the same. It's not an exact science. I always do the bone side of ribs as well as the meat side after I peel the membrane.
      Ditto. Too much salt (dry brining is not affected by time since it is measured, salt doesn't multiply) and they can get a little "hammy," which isn't all that bad.

Comment

Over knight by some, a few hours, or 15-30 minutes by others.
        They Ribs are thin so don't over salt. Ribs generally come three to a package, so you may want to try one rack over knight, one for 3-4 hours, and the last for 30 minutes. Be sure to log your results, Pictures are nice. Then taste which you refer.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never had spareribs with 3 racks in a package. 2 tops. Just saying.

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Costco ribs are always three racks to a package

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          Costco and maybe Sam’s are the only ones I can remember having packs of 3.

I just made my best ribs ever. Search my posts. I just posted what I did.

Comment

I don't dry brine.
          Outta the fridge, trim em up, dry rub em up and on the grill.
          Also use mayo as a binder for the dry rub.

Comment

I don’t worry too much about brining ribs .... a couple hours, or so. The meat on the bones is pretty thin and the salt penetrates quickly. Off to read Joetee s post now :-)
            Last edited by ecowper; October 17, 2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks- Troubador

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here