Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First butt semi-fail. 22 hr for 7lb butt. Feedback would be appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please forgive me if this is not the place for this comment. But after reading thoughts from rickgregory above, I agree that pork butt, although it makes a great sammie, is one of the most boring smoked meats there is and to me not worth the long agonizing hours it takes to cook it properly via the traditional low and slow method. Now having said that, pulled pork is ideal for big gatherings (will we ever be able to do that again?) and a real crowd pleaser. My answer?

The Orion Cooker. (See review on the free side)

It can turn out three avg. size butts, say 8 lbs or so each, in about 5 hours. Perfect every time. 20 lb turkey in 2-2.5 hrs. Six racks of ribs in an hour and 20 min. I have two of the cookers so do the math. A ton of meat with no fuss, no lost sleep, you get it. As noted in the review, they are a charcoal hog so you gotta fill them up with meat though. I do not use them all that often but they are cheap to buy and really come in handy for certain situations. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Not too much I can add here.
      I cook at 280-320, butts can take it
      You said you used a diffuser, I used to but stopped using deflector. Found it cooked better without.
      And hey it could have been some tough old boars butt too.

Comment

I’ve noticed when I’ve had drops in temps like that long enough for the meat to start dropping IT, it seems to add hours to the cook. So not surprised at 22 hours with 2 drops. 250-275 is definitely more consistent for getting pork butt done. On the pellets though I usually do 200-225 for a couple hours then bump to 275. The lower start isn’t needed on Kamado though.

Comment

Like has been said in the above posts, run temps up to 275 and that should help. Also try moving the meat probe to a different location in the meat, sometimes it lies to us...ha. One of the better butts I’ve ever done was in my PBC and ran at 325F.

Comment

Meathead says he likes to keep things consistent in his recipes on the site and in his cookbooks, so he sticks at 225° for everything but poultry. I suspect he may cook at higher temps at home. Just guessing, though.

I never smoke anything at 225°. Takes too long and I don't notice an improvement on the few cooks that I have done at that low of a smoke temp. I stick with 250-275°, on average. Shorter stalls, moist meat. Nothing not to like.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; October 12, 2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              The truth is that I dialed in all my cookers long ago so I now just eyeball it. I guestimate how much coal or gas based on the weather, but I really do shoot for 225 and 325 for smoke roasting, and max IR for searing. I am sure that occasionally temps drift above or below.

Originally posted by DrGiggles View Post
            thanks everyone. it sounds like i'll have to relax my fanatical insistence in following recipes to a T for outdoor cooking. thankfully a bit of add'l sauce overnight helped with some of the dryness (and disappointment!)
            This will free your mind.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Great vid. Thanks.

Mosca LOVE that video of Jacques. I had dinner with him a few years ago and we discussed recipe writing technique (classic boring trade talk). The unsaid part to the video is for the recipe writer to have tested the recipe enough times to include notes on the problems the cook might encounter such as the ripeness of the pears. That's what makes recipes long and sometimes makes for long headnotes which a lot of people complain about.

Side note: Jacques can match me glass for glass drinking wine. Not many can do that!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Great photo! That must have been a memorable evening!

The point is reiterated in one of Aaron Franklin’s books, where, paraphrasing, he says that the way to get good at bbqing brisket is to bbq lots of briskets, so that you’ll know what to do when things don’t go as planned. It took me a long time to free myself from the tyranny of the written recipe, but even now I try to be strict the first time.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              matching Meathead glass for glass drinking wine? That's a challenge I'm up for!

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Look in the back of Aaron Franklin's book Manifesto and see the influences/references he credits.

My son just got a Kamado (I don't have details except that it's red.) and has been having a ball with it. He cooked his first butt (10 lbs.) day before yesterday. He used mesquite lump with hickory chunks. He was in a bit of a time crunch. So, I told him to cook it at 300F and to wrap in foil when it got to 150F or so to power through the stall and to take it out and faux cambro at 195F. The temperature of the cooker held at 300F, and it took the meat five hours to get to 195F, The family was getting restless for dinner. So, there was very little resting time before he had to pull it. The moistness was not perfect but adequate, and the consistency of the meat was fine.

BTW, the flavor was great. He seasoned with Bolner's Fiesta Jalapeño Salt and their salt free Brisket Seasoning Mix the night before the cook.
            Last edited by gcdmd; October 12, 2020, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here