Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To crutch or not to crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To crutch or not to crutch

I have two roughly 8lb shoulders cooking on a weber kettle at about 240 F. They went on 7:15 am and at 10 am they were at 105 internal. I would like to be readt to pull at around 6 pm. i know every butt is different, but i'm curious to get thoughts on whether or not to crutch. i have cooked pork shoulder 3 or 4 times, but have never crutched before.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I usually wrap at between 150 -160. This past weekend I didn't wrap for the first time ever and I was disappointed by how dry the pork was. I pulled it off and wrapped in butchers paper for 90 minutes prior to pulling.

Won't be doing that again I don't think. I always get a super moist pork when I wrap

Comment

If you want them at 6:00pm today you have no choice but to wrap them IMHO

Comment

when i used the el cheapo smoker i crutched to get cook times down. on my drum it holds temp, so i don't care and usually don't crutch. and end up with amazing bark. That said I will crutch on two occasions only. 1. if i need cooking times to be quicker, or more predictable, ill crutch to power through the stall. 2. if i want to add a second flavor, i may crutch to introduce that second flavor. In both cases i will remove it for a while towards the end to get some bark back.

Comment

You'll be pushing it to have time to get it done at the 240 range without wrapping, and definitely won't have enough time to allow it to rest. Let it get to the stall and start looking good, then wrap that sucker up.

Comment

thanks for the advice! i wrapped it and its looking good for 6, maybe 6:30

Comment

When I cook pork shoulder I put it over charcoal & wood for 4-5 hours (using my mini WSM or Arorn) then remove it, place in a stainless steel pan cover with plastic wrap followed by foil and finish it I off in a 350º oven (to an internal temp of 200º). Place it in a small warmed, ice chest till internal temp drops to 140º, pull and serve. Never had this system fail to create wonderful pulled pork. Of course it seems pretty hard to screw up a good pork shoulder anyway, now a whole chicken, that's a diiferent story for a different forum!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here