Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orange juice

Has anyone ever marinated ribs in orange juice? Just curious if it masses with flavor or would make them a little more tender.

More tender? Doubtful as ribs when cooked well are pretty tender. Back ribs are leaner and well... lean meat is lean.

with that said I use orange/tangerine/ juice and lemon/lime juice in tons and ton of marinades and vinaigrette’s etc..

love OJ as an ingredient. I have never marinated ribs in just OJ. Who knows... it may be awesome and more tender.

Comment

I know Pork pairs well with orange juice well at least bitter orange juice (mojito). I've had some outstanding mojito pork (not ribs) in South Florida and the Key's.
      "Three Guys from Miami" website https://icuban.com/food/mobile/index.html
      of course heavily Cuban influence in the pork section you should see usage of oranges and other citrus. Not sure if there is a rib recipe.

Comment

I want my ribs tough as crap when they are placed in the smoker. That way the extra time to get them tender gives me even more bark.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          More time for Bark, dog gone, it that is not true.

Extra time to sipping also, too.

It's been maybe 15 years since I've seen any in a store but Weber has a line of "Just Add Juice" marinade mixes. IIRC the Caribbean Jerk that you would mix with OJ was pretty good.

Just add orange juice to this Caribbean Jerk Marinade from Weber for a unique, mouthwatering mix of allspice, cinnamon, cloves, thyme and cayenne pepper.

Comment

Cochinita Pibil tacos are made with pork shoulder that is marinated in bitter orange juice rubbed with achiote and braised underground, so I bet it could work flavor wise.

Comment

IMO you wouldn’t want to leave them in the OJ very long otherwise the acid will really start breaking the meat down and makes it a little soft/mushy? I’ve left a skirt steak in too long and it was horrible!!!

Comment

No I haven't, but can't resist suggesting an alternative. After a decent brining with just kosher coarse salt, when the cooker is ready I prep the pork full rack.

get a couple limes, cut them in half and use them to scrub the rack pretty hard - wear those limes out. now use a cumin-based home-made rub or a mild to medium subtle rub and add cumin to it.

Yum, IMO. How you cook the rack definitely dictates how tender it ends up - I think the marinade has very little influence unless it becomes detrimental, as Dadof3Illinois suggests.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here