Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly / bacon first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly / bacon first time

Just bought my first pork belly this morning. Going to attempt to make bacon on the PBC.

Someone here made some jalapeño bacon the other day. Would love to know how you did that.

Any other tips for a bacon first timer is appreciated

Don't eat it all the first day. That's all I've got.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      BFlynn Where did you get your pork belly? I’ve never done one either, but want to. 58limited You’ve done pork belly before. How do you do yours?
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 26, 2020, 01:35 PM.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Costco. Panhead John

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      @Panhead John
      I got mint at the HEB. They normally have them

Jalapeño bacon is easy. De seed the jalapeno, mince and add to your cure..

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. Thanks!

So, depending on how big a belly you have, I'd consider dividing it and doing different flavors. I like to do ~4lb sections.

For a basic cure, the free side is fine. I start with a basic cure of salt, PP #1, pepper, sugar. Cure, then rinse and smoke to about 150F. Good 'traditional' bacon. If you want other flavors, just add them to the cure. Personally, I'd be a little nervous with fresh peppers simply because I've not done it and would wonder how they held up to the week (or so) long cure.

Honestly, though, as long as you cure correctly, bacon is one of the easiest things to do. Have fun!

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got a 4 3/4 lb belly section.
      I still may cut it in half and do 2 flavors

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder how using the syrup from cowboy candy jalapeños would work for the sugar and some of the water in the cure. Might have to try that.

I'm just wondering if the PBC will cook at a low enough temp. I've never checked mine but I think they run high.

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Made bacon a dozen times on the PBC. All turned out great

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive got a fan controller on my PBC, so I can run it lower if I want.

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoking bacon on the PBJr. is the only time I really load it up with wood chunks. Like 2-3 times as much as I'd use for a normal cook.

First time round I suggest using the free side recipe standard or maple syrup. When that's under your belt look at introducing other flavours.

Comment

I recently made bacon for the first time and couldn't leave well enough alone. Modified Meathead's maple bacon by substituting molasses and espresso for maple syrup and water. Was very good but also a bit different from traditional bacon flavors so perhaps I got lucky. Next batch I'll do straight up traditional.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, your post and a coopun from SRF put me over the edge. I'll have 9.5 pounds (minus smoking to 150 loss) to slice on Tuesday.

BFlynn Here's my two go to recipes. They're both really good, but the one with the hot paprika is bomb.

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        That's awesome! I have some hot paprika looking to get used. Will definitely do that

Also suggest different shapes. When you are done smoking it all, only slice half.
      Cube the other half to make bacon burnt ends.

Comment

Alright - everything is done curing, so today is BACON DAY!! Very excited.

I figured I'd also do burnt ends with half, and bring to my grandpa's birthday this weekend. A few quick pork belly questions:
        1) Do you trim the fat off the top? I've seen mixed results when I've tried to search for the answer.
        2) I'm assuming that if I smoke the pork belly cubes today, that I can just braise them on Saturday with no problem. The only risk being that they won't make it that long.
        3) Do you put a pan underneath the pork cubes to catch any drippings?

As always, thanks in advance for your insight.

Comment

Originally posted by BFlynn View Post
          Alright - everything is done curing, so today is BACON DAY!! Very excited.

I figured I'd also do burnt ends with half, and bring to my grandpa's birthday this weekend. A few quick pork belly questions:
          1) Do you trim the fat off the top? I've seen mixed results when I've tried to search for the answer.
          2) I'm assuming that if I smoke the pork belly cubes today, that I can just braise them on Saturday with no problem. The only risk being that they won't make it that long.
          3) Do you put a pan underneath the pork cubes to catch any drippings?

As always, thanks in advance for your insight.
          Before you smoke, slice off a bit, cook it and taste for salt level. You can desalinate before smoking if too salty...

Hmm... I don't know about belly burnt ends with the cure. I mean it's big pieces of salty belly. But how bad could it be?

Trim the fat? Do you mean the skin? Bellies usually are ~50% fat so... im confused here.
          Last edited by rickgregory; October 7, 2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            The skin is trimmed but the top 1/4 of the belly is a thicker layer of fat. I have seem some recipes call for the removal of the fat cap, and other that seem to leave it.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Leave it. trimming it makes no sense to me. This is one of those things that's personal - some bellies are almost all fat, some only about 1/4 and it really depends on what you like. I just assume bacon is going to be relatively fatty.

it won't affect the smoking. On smoking... try to get it low and slow as you can to maximize smoke time. I mean 250+ works, bu you're only smoking to about 150F and it won't take a long time to get there at those temps.

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            I have made burnt ends with the cured belly before. Overall I liked them with the uncured belly more. The texture on the cured belly wasn't quite as tender and melt in your mouth as with the uncured. They were still good but not as good. I don't see any issues with smoking them now and then braising later either. You might have to braise longer since you are starting with cold meat but it shouldn't create any problems.

BFlynn this thread is lacking pics... just saying...

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Picks are coming. Got delayed a bit. Charcoal chimney is getting hot as we speak.

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
          So, depending on how big a belly you have...
          LOL, I don't think the size of his belly should matter, though I predict it may be bigger after the cook is done. Sounds delish!

Comment

Duckman_OK As requested

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201008_125401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	921129

As Mr Jerry Lee said - there's a whole lotta bacon going on

1 lb of bacon and 3 lbs of what will be burnt ends
            Last edited by BFlynn; October 8, 2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Bacon done to 160. Waiting til tomorrow to slice and fry it.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_142717.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	921172Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_142909.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	921173

Ends ready off the smoker. They're going to take a 3 hr bath in the crock pot on Saturday while I cook ribs

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_150256.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	921174

Comment

• shify
                shify commented
                Editing a comment
                You didn’t slice off one slice and fry it as soon as it came off the smoker to reward yourself? You still have a lot to learn, young padawan

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                shify - I mean, I did... and it was great. But I was a little caught up in it, and didn't take a picture.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here