Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas cruch for ribs????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas cruch for ribs????

Anyone using the Texas cruch for back ribs? When do you wrap? How long to keep them wrapped?
    Not sure what the process is.

The only time I wrap ribs is if they finish early and I need to hold them in the oven or the cooler. My experience is wrapping is an unnecessary step for ribs at home and I've always had great results without wrapping. I think competition is a different story. Ultimately, though, experiment, determine which results you like best and go with it. My guess is the responses here will reflect a lot of personal preference. Wrap or not, enjoy the ribs, and remember to send pictures!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. Saves a lot of foil.....

I'll wrap back ribs when they are particularly meaty (i.e. they have a lot of loin meat on them that can dry out). Usually do something like 3-1-1 (hours, unwrapped, wrapped, unwrapped) at 250-275. But that may be unique to my smoker.

I tend not to wrap spares since they tend to be more fatty.

Comment

Wrapping pork ribs is not done to get past the stall, which is what the Texas Crutch is for as there really isn't a stall with pork ribs. Those that wrap pork ribs tend to do so to make them more tender I think. Personally I never wrap pork ribs.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        +2

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly. Texas Crutch is related to brisket, when the internal temperature stalls. Usually around 150* - 160* or so. I occasionally will wrap ribs but usually not. I like a little crunch.

Used to crutch my ribs but as have stopped for good now.
      pkadare summed it up, wrapping is for tenderness.
      I like my ribs to bite back just a little bit.

Comment

Why rap? AKA the Texas Crutch, halt the formed bark, to tenderize, or speed up cook time. On Treager's website they tout 3-2-1 method. Smoke ribs for three hours, @225, wrap in foil for two hrs. then one hour sauced.

Comment

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          I find that 3-2-1 ribs are over cooked to my taste. But you gotta do you!

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Some like fall off the bones ribs. 3-2-1 is only a guide.

I will wrap when time is of the essence and I have to have them ready by a certain time. Sometimes I may not be able to just start early, so I need a shorter cook time. Otherwise, I don't really have a preference. When I do wrap, I wait until some bark has formed and they are the color that I want. This is 2 or 3 hrs into the cook.

Comment

Pork baby backs? I never wrap’em. Keep’em moist and let’em go!

Also, I do my ribs dry. Just a slightly modified MMD rub, no sauce.
          Last edited by Santamarina; September 25, 2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Dry, Dry, Baby ... ... ...

I used to do the 2-2-1 method for loin back ribs from Sam's and Costco:

2 hours smoking at 225
          2 hours wrapped in foil at 225
          1 hour unwrapped to reset the bark, sauce, etc.

It makes for almost fall off the bone ribs. I rarely wrap ribs now, unless crunched for time and they aren't looking done.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Nailed it!

We don't wrap but if done early into the foil they go.

Comment

As others have said, I don't go into a cook wanting to wrap. 'Crutch' is a good word, because it infers that a particular cook needs a hand to seize the day. Luckily feeding time is flexible here at the Casa de Lou... so wrapping is a situational tactic when I want a faster hotter cook and need to retain the juicy goodness.

I'm starting to envy the PBC crowd - I don't have a cooker that's so forgiving I can't screw up a cook. It's not that I do screw up cooks, but I do still need to watch them and sometimes change the cook to save the food. That's okay, I don't yet 'have to have' 'set and forget' as part of my arsenal.

As to process - I free-range wing-it instead of using 3-2-1 or 2-2-1. If I had to wrap, I always open the wrap to see if a want to do a sear or dry the bark just a bit. If so, do it until you're satisfied with the exterior texture and look that you want, then do a tented rest and serve unless you need to store. For bigger cuts I skip the unwrapping and go into faux cambro for at least an hour to rest the cut and redistribute juices. You can easily hold a big cut 3 to 4 hours and only benefit. When you do open the cut, do it on a board or in a container that can handle an unexpected juice explosion - don't lose that goodness on your countertop.

Comment

I like to 3-2-1 St. Louis ribs and 2-2-1 for BB's. I use paper instead of foil, I think you do get some air movement within, rather than with foil that can seal up pretty tight. Depending on how they look, I will modify the wrap time or the last hour depending on the meat on hand.

Comment

• gilbertpilz
                gilbertpilz commented
                Editing a comment
                Paper also absorbs some of the fat.

Thanks for sharing all your experience. I may try wrapping just for the experience. But I too like my ribs with some bite.

Comment

I don’t wrap.
                But then I don’t wrap anything...
                Didn’t even know that was a thing until I started getting serious about outdoor cooking. Always made it work prior to that and figured there was no solid reason to change.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here