Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Wings

Click image for larger version  Name:	72447684-5B25-44F7-979E-DBF30C7DA0D0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	914766 I bought a couple of packs of what Porter Road is calling "Pork Wings". Two pieces per pack, about one pound per pack. According to their web page, these are actually cross sections of the fibula on the pig. Anyway, I have never cooked these but they were cheap so what the heck.

So has anyone here done these? The PR page says to cook them like ribs. Ok simple enough. But any tips or cautions?
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; September 22, 2020, 09:39 AM.

From the leg. My guess would be low and slow, so lets us know.
    Thank Yo.

Comment

When pigs fly

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        🤣😂

It's time to speak, said the Walrus, to speak of many things;

of ships and shoes and ceiling wax, and cabbages and kings,

and if the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings....

use a chunk or two of pecan - give them wings a soft smokie flavor.

Comment

These are shanks.

Comment

Interested in this thread, although when I saw the subject all I could think of was flying pigs.

Comment

Yes I know these are from the shank. So far not a lot of advice on cooking them. Some fun stuff though. I figure I will just do them low and slow like a rack of ribs and see what comes out of it unless Somebody has a better idea. I will post the results.

Comment

What I've had down here that were called pork wings are from the rear lower leg: a small, about two bite, hunk of meat with a thin bone attached for a handle (probably the fibula bone). They grilled and sauced them. Yum!
              Last edited by 58limited; September 23, 2020, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I saw these last night when perusing Porter Road. Enjoy those!

But I will admit - like others....this is where i went first
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1D367B95-76EE-4B77-9BE9-9AFDF53F3675.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	915187

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  On of the greatest albums of all time.

You might consider braising. Look for osso bucco recipes for sauce/seasoning ideas.

Comment

I would also go with braising them, but I have never done this cut before. I am sure a smoke would be great too.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E950433A-1A2D-4DF1-9F15-952A4C877240.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	915750Click image for larger version

Name:	4E37EB64-9110-46BE-9517-FE27ADB80FB0.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	915747Click image for larger version

Name:	E0DF6C6B-90F4-4F9E-B32F-D77EDA632A20.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	915749Click image for larger version

Name:	8EF07BF1-15ED-4742-832A-124FED9A4046.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	915748 Ok I did these "pig wings" tonight. I did them the same way I do my ribs. They cooked like ribs, looked like ribs, and go figure, ate and tasted like ribs. But here’s the thing. They cost about three times as much as ribs. So I guess I’ll just stick to the ribs. 🤷‍♂️

I was concerned about how much meat were on them so I tossed some brats in the smoker for the last couple hours. Nice smoke ring on the brats as well as the pork. The pig wings were actually very meaty though. Anyway, everything was tasty and a good meal was had.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here