Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babyback Ribs on my Offset Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babyback Ribs on my Offset Smoker

Equipment: Jambo Backyard Smoker, ThermoWorks Signals
    Wood: Cherry and Pecan
    Target Temp: 225-250 d.
    Meat: Loin ribs, 4 racks. Average 3lb/rack.
    Dry brine: Kosher salt 4 hours before going on the smoker
    Rub Adhesive: Mayonnaise
    Rub: My own blend. Sweet Heat (no salt).
    Sauce: 1 part Original Head Country, 1 part Original Blues Hog
    Cook: 3.5 hours on smoker, 1 hour wrapped (butcher paper) in oven at 250 d.
    Overall results: (1) A tad undercooked. Meat was tender, competition bite, but a little bit of a tug and meat did not pull cleanly from the bone. Could have rendered the fat a bit more (natives getting restless - needed to put out the ribs). (2) Good "sweet heat" flavor, sweet with a bit of back heat. But a bit under salted (I really like dry brining, but need to be a bit more liberal on salting the meat). (3) Served the ribs dry with sauce on the side. (4) Good smoke flavor, but not overpowering. I don't think it really matters what wood you use, with the exception of hickory. Pecan/Cherry/Apple/Oak - all comes out the same. (5) Ribs were almost like pork belly on the bone. I wanted to smoke spars, but babybacks were on sale.
    Attached Files

Looks good! Next time see if you can start earlier so those ribs get to spend more time in that awesome smoker of yours! But what’s a man gonna do when the natives are hungry?

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that not the truth. Almost impossible to game plan BBQ meat. Sometimes it takes longer and you worry about the guests getting fidgety and sometimes it comes early and you worry about holding the meat and overcooking it.

I thought I smelled something good coming from the west this weekend....

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      With all the fires and smoke in the air, I kind of felt guilty burning wood. But I got over that quickly 🤣

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here