Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know it is wrong, but we like fall off the bone ribs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it is wrong, but we like fall off the bone ribs...

Doing some STL style ribs tomorrow, and my family likes the ribs to be wetter and easier to chew than what Last Meal Ribs turn out to be.

How can I get them that way?

Wrap? Hold Forever? Overcook?

Cooking in a GMG Pellet Burner.

TIA.

Overcook... The closest I have come is from a trial run wrapping for an hour and a half, if I had gone to 2 the meat would have slid right off. I use a PBC so the temp was 275, at about 2.5 hours in I wrapped for 1.5 and they were probably done at that point, but I wanted to sauce them and have them firm up so left them for another half an hour. Wrapping really seems to do the trick.

Comment

jayn here's how I do my spare ribs and the family and friends love them. I trimmed and salt/rub the night before. Put in smoker at 225-250 for four hours. Spraying with Apple juice every hour. After four hours I wrap them tightly in foil with brown sugar, squeeze butter and honey and put back in smoker for one hour then I take them out of the foil back in smoker for one more hour to firm them up. Sometimes I will sauce them the last 15-20 mins of the cook. They always come out tender and pulls from the bone cleanly. I know I will catch hell from some members but who cares...😊

BTW when wrapping put the ribs meat side down onto the mixture and place in smoker meat side down.
      Last edited by DWCowles; June 20, 2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        DW, I am guessing we have all tried something before we "knew better" and liked it or were brought up having something cooked a certain way that we still get a craving for every once in awhile and it is almost nostalgic when we can have it again. And sometimes your taste buds just like what your taste buds like.

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Nate I'm not convinced that there is a right or wrong way. Take Aaron Franklin for example he sprays his ribs with Apple juice and BBQ sauce and has a long line everyday ordering ribs and briskets so is he doing them the wrong way?

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        DWCowles, That is one of the things I love about this though. You can ask 100 different guys how to prepare and cook ribs or pulled pork etc... and you will get 100 different answers. Everyone has their own twist, flavor, spice combo, wood selection, sauce style, cooking temp, method, etc... and of those 100 guys you will get a lot of really dang good food. I agree with you... Put Franklin up against Mike Mills and you will have 2 sets of killer ribs and I would hate to have to choose... Although I would probably just keep saying "I'm not sure yet, I need another sample of each"

jayn , well i really hate to admit this but I know a guy *coughs* that makes ribs that you literally just pull the bone right out of the meat and his family loves them. He learned this technique years ago before he learned proper rib cooking procedures and found a website called amazingribs.com. But if I recall correctly: rub the ribs, put them on the cooker till near done, remove from cooker and place in foil pan. Once ribs are in foil pan cover them with a mix of your favorite bbq sauce, beer, and brown sugar (also i have seen just bbq sauce and apple juice but i think the beer and brown sugar is better) you may want to sample this mix and adjust to taste. Make sure the ribs are completely covered in liquid (yes this requires a lot of sauce and creates some waste) and cover the pan up and stick back on cooker at a higher temp and allow them to simmer for a minimum of an hour (or two). Start checking them and just go till desired tenderness. I hope this doesn't count as the terrorist winning!

Comment

• dereklhall
        dereklhall commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a bit of smoke and braise.

So I went 3-3-1/2

3 hours at 225
      3 hours wrapped at 225 wrapped in foil, with apple juice, bacon grease, and brown sugar
      1/2 hour at 300 to get the bark back.

They were FANTASTIC! not award winning, but exactly what the family likes!

New Dust!

Getting Going!

Post Wrap

Headed to the Table

Comment

That's all that matters...nice job!

Comment

There's nothing "wrong" about liking fall-off-the-bone ribs. They're your ribs, cook 'em the way you like 'em. And anyhow, fall-off-the-bone ribs taste really good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here