Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foray into "Darn You SRF Bacon"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foray into "Darn You SRF Bacon"

So I gets a coupon and splurged on 5-6 pounds of Kurobuta pork belly. I got a straight up 9.5 pound slab on Wednesday (day early, $9.99 shipping) that was deeply frozen. Just thawed enough by today (Sept 19) to put curing.

Ultimately ended up with a 4.5 slab that was 2.5" thick going into the original recipe. 8.4 days minimum cure time, will go 8.8 days-ish.

5 pounds (split in 2) went modified maple. I wanted to use Steen's Cane syrup however the store within walking distance had none and was also void of any maple, but they came through in the clutch with a cane syrup after all. These 2 packs were 2.25" thick and will go 7 days.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200919_135648.jpg Views:	0 Size:	646.7 KB ID:	913305Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200919_150020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	602.7 KB ID:	913306Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200919_151808.jpg Views:	0 Size:	532.2 KB ID:	913307Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200919_151830.jpg Views:	0 Size:	549.6 KB ID:	913308

Mmmmmmmmm, bacon

Comment

Nice. I want to try some Iberico and/or wild boar bellies from these guys: https://www.marxfoods.com/mbc/Bacon-...AND--Wild-Boar

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. I have plenty space in the freezer to just order the bellies by the case and just whip one out and trim it up if I want to avoid store bought bacon. This one spoiled me since it came with no skin and trimmed.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah that's nice. I'm curious about the wild boar belly. Thing is, I don't really need 20lbs. I should talk to ecowper or someone local and split an order.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory I’m down. Ping me privately, we can set it up.

Bacon makes Everything better.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        You ever notice how bacon makes you thirsty.....for more bacon?

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Now,yall jus cut that there kinda talk right out, Brothers!

Makin me drool all down my dang chin wiskers, an such lol

The first homemade bacon I ever did was a SRF belly. Made a ton of bacon since then but haven't tried another SRF belly. Guess I need to try another one sometime to see how much better it is.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        I could probably quote this post three years from now.

Knowing I can't slice consistent slices to save my life, I got reinforcements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1600992323491-684360925.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	915811

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 This is the 8.5" from LEM which may be another brand with their seal of approval. What settings for bacon? I've eyeballed the gap seeing what might be thin vs thick (store bought scale)

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually never look at the number on the knob. I just looked at mine. I have 12 numbers starting at 0. Until you hit 1 the blade is actually recessed. Thick bacon slices would be at 5, I believe. Sharpen the blade before using the first time.

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        If you plan on doing a lot of bacon, you might consider one of these.

5 pounds of modified maple and some chuck ribs for supper.

Name:	IMG_20200926_172357.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	916688

Comment

The heck with all that...

WHERE’D YOU GET THE COUPON?!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          They emailed it to me. Saying they wanted me back, bla$ bla$ bla$

So these bad boys are currently in the freezer chilling down so I can slice them up.

Name:	IMG_20200926_195747.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	916759Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200926_203819.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	916760Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200926_203811.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	916761

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to seeing/hearing how the slicer worked.

• cgrover60
          cgrover60 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice.

Last 4.5 pounds. Doing a little different to compare to the other 5 pounds. No rinse of possible surface salt deposits; smoke at 275-ish instead of 225.

The meat was 28 to 30 degrees internal out the fridge so I guess my fridge is a little colder than what I want, adjustment made.

As I'm posting this I just got an email on my phone from Snake River Farms....noooo I'm trying to get another rifle!!

And yes the truck is on a slant, I leveled off the smoke vault.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200929_000556.jpg Views:	6 Size:	399.2 KB ID:	917713Click image for larger version  Name:	1601356310883505088259.jpg Views:	7 Size:	470.9 KB ID:	917714

Comment

This one browned up nicely. It was so thick it took 2 hours @ 275.

Name:	IMG_20200929_015504.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	917718

Comment

I'm pressed for time but I have everything sliced and bagged and labeled. Number 4 on my slicer gives a good thick slice and number 3 gives about as thin as I would like. Can't imagine doing this with any consistency with a knife. Definitely wait to slice all you can at one time, breaking down a slicer to clean is a job in itself.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Cleaning is a chore but you will get proficient over time. Little wire brushes are a must.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here