Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suckling Pig Pork Companies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suckling Pig Pork Companies

Hello!

I am trying to buy a suckling pig, 20-25lb.

I have found two places:

D'artagnan - a well known company who seems to stand by their product... 21-30lb pig for $314 (with coupon)

https://www.dartagnan.com/suckling-p...PIGS004-1.html

Stryker Farm - never heard of them before, but get good reviews and seems like they have happy pigs 20-25lb pig $238

© 2024 Stryker Farm LLC                 All rights reserved                  [email protected]

Which do you choose?

Thank you,

Jacob

Check Craigslist or www.localharvest.org and find a local hog breeder. I'll wager you could cut the price in half, or more if you can do the slaughter, and know what it was fed and where it was raised.

Comment

Not sure where you live, but I bet with some google searching you can find a fairly local farm that has good pork products. I’ve done a pig roast the last few years (except this year.. damn COVID) and doing the same thing I found a great local farm that raises pigs among other animals, has a in house butcher and can pretty much any size you need. I call a few weeks ahead, order the size I want and specify how I want it butchered (I.e., butterflied or regular). Turns out they also supply some local restaurants and a craft brewery around here that also gives the farm their spent grains as feed for the pig.

if you happen to be in Westchester County, NY the farm is Hemlock Hills

Comment

I guess I’m lucky. I have a local butcher just 6 miles from me that will sell you the pig and rent you the rig to cook it. Having said that I must admit I have never done it. I guess it may be time that I do! AR inspiration!

Comment

A couple houses down I've a neighbor that always has 8 - 10 piglets penned and growing. I'm really lucky - he hasn't missed one yet, or at least hasn't filed charges.

Comment

I would love to do this too but I am the only guy who would eat it. I guess I should find a hungry neighbor to split the cost.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here