Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baconmergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baconmergency

One of my summer goals was to cure and smoke my own bacon. Yesterday I bought a beautiful 4.5lb pork belly slab, followed Meathead's classic recipe for the cure, put it all together and dropped it in the fridge and took off for the weekend.

It just occurred to me that instead of using Morton's kosher salt in the cure, I used ground kosher salt. Total rookie mistake! As I can't do anything about it until I get back home Sunday I'm hoping someone will tell me: don't worry about it, you didn't just create a $50 salt lick. Any advice? In the end will it matter? Should I dump the cure and redo it the right way when I get back Sunday?

Nah I think you'll be fine, first their isn't a big conversion difference at 1.5 teaspoons. Next, step 3 tells you
    Remove the belly from the bag, and throw the liquid away. GIve it a quick rinse to wash off any thick deposits of salt on the surface
    so you are rinsing off excess anyway. Since you are leaving it for a few days, make sure to massage it and flip it when you get back.

Comment

Personaly i've never had to do it but i've read that you can soak it in cold water to remove salt after curing. Like here:
      i tryed to make bacon with fresh side cured it with sausage makers honey ham and bacon cure 7# fresh side and follered drictions on bacon cure cured for 10 days and rinsed under cool water cdyed and put in smoker with vent open for 1 hr at at 135 dgs at the end of hr closed vent half way and...

Comment

Thanks fellas. Steve, that link was very useful. They suggested the good idea to slice off a piece, fry it up and test for salt level before smoking it. And if it is too salty to soak it in cold water for a bit. Thoroughly reduced my bacon anxiety to know I can adjust the salt levels at the end of the cure.

Comment

I would go with what John said. It's not going to be that huge a difference. Now, if you switched tablespoons for teaspoons that would be a big difference. I have found that ML's bacon recipe tastes pretty low in salt anyway so a little more is not going to push it over the edge.

-Alden

Comment

I know you were all anxiously waiting to know how this turned out. The answer is delicious. No adjustment or cold water soaking required. Really spectacular result:

Comment

Very nice. I'm going to have to give that a try.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here