Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St Louis Style Cut Ribs on the BGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Louis Style Cut Ribs on the BGE

Did a little mid-week cook. I found some nice spare ribs at my local restaurant outlet store (where only businesses are allowed to shop). Good thing I'm running a bbq business

Anywho, the porcine creatures have been fed food based on rape seeds, and it does make a difference. A bit richer flavor.

So I trimmed them up St Louis style, cutting away the cartilage where the ribs attach to the sternum.

I then applied my KC Royale rub and fired up the Big Green Egg. I haven't used it in a while, so it was a fun cook. I tried out a new brand of charcoal from Holland - it's premium oak lump charcoal. I'm impressed with it, very clean burn, gentle flavors, and zero visible smoke. Good stuff.

After 3 hours of smoking them unwrapped I started spritzing with conc. apple juice, then wrapped in butcher's paper. I cooked them for 50 minutes wrapped, then unwrapped and kept spritzing. I had them on for another hour before the bend test told me they were done.

Super happy with the bark on these, just perfect. Gonna smoke some more ribs this weekend.

The charcoal

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubs_charcoal.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	911864

Here's the ribs, trimmed and rubbed

Name:	Ribs_rub.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	911866

The wrapped ribs on my BGE

Name:	Ribs_wrapped.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	911865

The final product. Looking good.

Name:	Ribs_done.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	911867

Outstanding. Love ribs of any kind.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! That makes two of us :-)

I’m hungry now and I just finished lunch!

Comment

As usual they look great. Just pulled 6 racks of wibs for Saturday.
      To heck with the fires and Covid, I'm having some of the kids over!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        You go, man!

Great lookin' ribs!

Comment

Looking good Henrik. Looking good.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Steve!

Looking delicious. I’m curious about what you do with the trimmings as you convert spare ribs into STL style ribs.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I fried them up and gave to my dog :-)

Look good, but how was the pull? Were you satisfied with your flavor profile and tenderness? Would you do anything different? I asked this because I'm always looking for insight.

I keep a journal on all my cooks and after 10 years I'm still tweaking my ribs. Though the last time I smoked ribs, they were the best I've made. Competition worthy. I'd have scored them 9-9-9.
        Last edited by TripleB; September 16, 2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Just right for me. Between tug off the bone and fall off the bone. If I would change anything? Perhaps use a thin vinegar based tangy bbq sauce (homemade).

One thing I find interesting. Might just be coincidence. I don’t see a lot of meat ‘pull back’ from the bones (might not the right term). I did a great SLC cook last week and it was the same thing. And like you, it came from high-end locally sourced pork producer. Wonder if the quality/type of pork makes a difference.

Great looking ribs my friend!
        Last edited by BigBry; September 16, 2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point! Don't know why. Thanks!

Gorgeous!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Comment

A1 as usual Henrik.
          Have a coupla packs of ribs in the freezer, sounds like a plan for this weekend

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            You go, ribs are good for both body n soul.

That is next level bark 🤤

Comment

Ohhh yeaaa !!!

Comment

those look amazing!

I have a butchering question for you Henrik .

​​​​​​​when you do the St Louis cut are there still any 1/2-in to 1-in pieces of cartilage at the end of the longer ribs? or are they trimmed down totally to the bone and all the cartilage is gone? I'm asking because I am getting those 1-in pieces from my St Louis ribs from my butcher and I'm just wondering if he's not coming down far enough.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! No, I trim where the long ribs 'end', so the bones are clean, and it's easy to slice them when done. It sounds like he's not cutting far enough. You can feel/wiggle with your fingers to see if there's cartilage/bone left.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here