Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Color After Dry Brining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt Color After Dry Brining

I've noticed the change in color after dry brining my pork butts. I use Morton's kosher salt, fairly heavy, for 2 days, uncovered in the refrigerator. I'm curious as to why the meat color changes. Is the myoglobin pulled to the surface? Here are before and after photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	91018

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	91019

i don't know why but it is beautiful

Comment

...and should I be covering the butts? This is my beverage and meat refrigerator (garage) so no chance of the meat touching other food.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I never bother covering. I think oxygen exposure causes the color change. Kinda like when you bloom sausage.

Weird, mine is never as white as the top one. My guess would be oxygen.

Comment

I'm picky about putting uncovered food in the fridge so I always cover and have the same affect.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here