Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's this type of pork butt cut called ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this type of pork butt cut called ?

Hi, there's a store that has pork shoulder butt roasts which look sort of like a thick chuck roast. Kind of like they took the whole butt and sliced it up.

Anyway is there a name that distinguishes this from a regular pork butt ?

I'll post some pics from my phone in a minute.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zzdocxx; September 12, 2020, 04:39 PM.

Bonus pics - tree trimming in my yard today (these are pros, not me!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zzdocxx; September 12, 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe so !

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going out on a limb here (!) and guess that you don't live anywhere near NE Washington state. And you don't own a snow shovel....

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha took me a sec but I get it !

They just cut it into smaller roasts. Local store near my house will have butts for sale at $0.98/lb and limit two per family. Trick is they cut the butts in half and place in tray packs, so all the butts you buy are about 2.5-3.5 pounds. Takes a lot of trips when cooking for a fundraiser.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      OK I get it now you sneaky son of a gun !

Looks like I overpaid, too !

My local grocery calls these just a pork shoulder roast. I buy them all the time because they are smaller than a full butt and I usually cook for just two.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree, I do find it convenient.

I'm thinking (hoping) this might cook faster.

I guess they are cutting it lengthwise?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like it’s half as thick as the butts I get, so it sure might cook faster.

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      I have gotten some awesome carnitas from cuts such as this. Crispy outside, moist inside, yum yum !
      Wish me luck today !

I think Jerod Broussard is correct, but they look like thick pork steaks.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; September 12, 2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the handle, lol !

I can't tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like it could be pork collar (AKA pork neck, AKA coppa, AKA Money Muscle). The collar is cut from the upper portion of the pork shoulder butt. I almost always liberate it from the butt prior to cooking the remainder into pulled pork. Below is a picture of one I liberated. Makes great smoked pork for slicing when smoked to IT about 145-150º.
    SRF sells them for a fortune, but I've never tried their's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	collar.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	910097

Click image for larger version

Name:	sliced.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	910098

Comment

I just watched the first episode of Chef's Table BBQ on Netflix and they show Snow's BBQ in Lexington, TX. That looks a lot like this one.

The show is more about the cooks than how to make BBQ so they don't say which meat is what and things like that.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        An intriguing series built around the lifes of the cooks. Rodney Scott’s was interesting, too.

Get this all the time in Argentina. Called "Bondiola" top half of the boston that also includes the money muscle. Perfect for smoking or slicing into steaks.

Comment

I cut meat for HEB here in Texas and we take a whole pork shoulder and cut it in half. One is bone in, the other boneless. They’re labeled as Boston butts.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          You mean you used to work for HEB. LoL Welcome to the Pit!

Referring to the pics above: The round part on the far end, it is next to the bone and that is the piece that gave me trouble. When the whole near end was perfect, that part was still very firm to probage. Also the temp didn't seem to want to come up.

What I did was to cut off the part that was done and to leave that round piece with the bone on the grill for a while. The temp just didn't come up and even seemed to drop. I finally thought it was getting a little ridic and just pulled it off. Cut of a bit with a knife and it was OK. Not falling apart to the same degree as the close end though.

Which is the money part ? Is that round part typically more tough than the rest of the cut ?

Thanks everyone !

PS that round part is tucked alongside the bone if that helps.
        Last edited by zzdocxx; September 12, 2020, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          NO, the "money" is tender and does not seem to be present in that photo. On a typical butt it gets tougher the lower you get on the roast, as it pertains to its position on miss piggy. Higher up= less work, and that is where the money muscle is located.

That is the shoulder butt from the rare basselope - most of these have been assigned to the Trump 'Super Duper' missile program, but some do survive in the wild.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, too big for a Jackalope.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Rosebud for the win.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Chupacabra shoulder butt is the best! Real popular in Texas.

Originally posted by Ahumadora View Post
        Get this all the time in Argentina. Called "Bondiola" top half of the boston that also includes the money muscle. Perfect for smoking or slicing into steaks.
        From the internet:

La Bondiola is a particular cut of pork, unique in its dimensions and presentation, that can be found at any typical restaurant in Buenos Aires. Taken from the shoulder and neck, its nearest North American equivalent would be the Boston Butt, but Porteños usually don’t cook it as an entire roast like the yanquis. You can find bondiola in fiambre (lunchmeat) form or ready for the asador at your local carnicería.

The sandwich de bondiola, with luscious, thick slices of pork and salsa bondiolacriolla or chimichurri or even barbacoa (if your tastes lie that way) is one of the flavors you can’t miss when you come to Buenos Aires. Head down to Costanera Sur in Puerto Madero to sample this reasonably priced delicacy made by a professional. With an array of fresh veggies and salsas to choose from, you can’t go wrong. Order it completo if you want them to add ham, cheese and a fried egg on top of all that delicious pork. Your vegetarian friends can order a provoleta sandwich if they are unfortunate enough to be trying to eat in BA.

For the gourmet experience, try the bondiola rellena at your favorite BA steakhouse. Imagine tender, exquisite pork stuffed with plums, mushrooms, or even bacon if you are a glutton for porkishment. The bondiola mechada con panceta at La Cabrera comes highly recommended, if not a little pricey. No matter how you slice it, bondiola is a savory delight you can’t pass up when you visit Buenos Aires.

La Bondiola is a particular cut of pork, unique in its dimensions and presentation, that can be found at any typical restaurant in Buenos Aires. Discover More.

Comment

I cut my pork butt into 3lb sections anyway to smoke.
          More bark. Faster cooks.
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            I did do that with a few bought in bulk, but I think I sliced them along the wrong axis.

But yes I think this cut is easier for me to get it right.

So that rou d piece on the bo e, I bet that's always difficult right? Not much fat, very dense muscle.

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            zzdocxx Last one I did was a 7 lb, bone in roast. I cut it so one half had the bone, and one half didn't. By the end, the bone just pulled out. Both sides were delicious.

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            Very interesting BFlynn.

Thing is, the whole butts at Costco Biz Ctr, the bones are removed.

Without the bone, I would need to rethink the geometry as far as cutting them in two. In the first crisis of the pandemic, I just wanted to get some stuff in the freezer. Not knowing any better, I just cut the boneless butts crosswise in three pieces. Not realizing also how much they shrink. Also with bone out they tend to unravel, probably need twine.

Hmmm...got to think about that.
            Last edited by zzdocxx; September 14, 2020, 03:28 PM.

OK today I cooked one pork butt shoulder which I had previously cut in half and vak packed and frozen, and one of those flat pork roasts as pictured above. The reason being that there weren't enough leftovers last time. So I am talking three pieces of pork.

I have some pics.

It came out perfect and awesome, I am getting the hang of this. We are calling it "carnitas".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here