Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brining Boston Butt, for how long and which rub/glaze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brining Boston Butt, for how long and which rub/glaze?

Got my hands on some really nice pork, the equivalent of Boston Butt I guess.
    It's in cuts, about 0.4 inches or 1 cm thick.

How long before would you recommend I dry brine them for?

Gonna bbq them in about 48 hours.
    This is gonna have to be a quick bbq (< 1 hour), so no low and slow sadly.

Which rubs, glazes and sauces would you recommend?
    Last edited by Calle; June 17, 2015, 12:29 PM. Reason: more details

I don't think I know what to do with something less than a half inch thick. If I had to cook them I would treat them as pork chops I guess. Tough one. And welcome by the way.

Comment

I am assuming they are the equivalent of pork shoulder steaks... I cook them sometimes.

I would dry brine with Meatheads Memphis Dust Rub for about 2 hours in the fridge, then cook indirect at 325 F for ~30-40 min with a quick, hot sear at the end... watch internal temps, you need to get it over 140 for safety...

For that short amount of time, you may not be able to dissolve all the connective tissue and some of the meat, may be 'chewy'

Welcome to the Pit, by the way.
      Last edited by smarkley; June 17, 2015, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, I have been in the Pit for a while but never taken part in the forums before.
        I have made Memphis Dust before, it's a great rub, but I skipped the salt in mine and usually dry brine for a while before.

I'll probably glaze with Show Me sauce (best damn sauce in the world IMO).

Question is if dry brining for a long time will buy me anything.
        MU professor will be remembered for his Show-Me sauce.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I say no the long dry brine wont be much different than a salt a cook.

I agree with smarkly. Nice pork steak ya got there. His method sounds good. They cook fast. I do them often with just salt and fire.

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          I been using MMD, because my wife asks for it, but I used to do it with just salt and a little pepper... your idea is a good one. Keep it simple for a simple is better for this thin stuff

Calle - for future reference the absolute best way to cook these so they are fork tender - falling apart (like a pork butt) is to braise them in a Dutch Oven... easy to do and you won't overcook so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
          Guest - for future reference the absolute best way to cook these so they are fork tender - falling apart (like a pork butt) is to braise them in a Dutch Oven... easy to do and you won't overcook so easy.
          I have a sous vide machine that I use for tough meat, but this time I have to cook so much that the machine can't take it.
          I could potentially do it in turns, but I'm afraid of anaerobic bacteria growth if I do that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here