Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help and advice for first time pork shoulder roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help and advice for first time pork shoulder roast

I have a 6 lb shoulder roast which I am planning to slow smoke on my Weber 22" Kettle with the SnS deluxe. I am still quite new at slow and low smoking and have not attempted this before. I am not sure where to begin and what the best method is to hopefully end up with something that is both edible and enjoyable. I have followed Troutman's primer on short ribs and that turned out really well and I am hoping that someone might have something along those lines for a shoulder roast. If not a complete a to z write up then some hints and advice that will be helpful

Meathead has a great write up on the free site. I’ve found on my kettle it takes a bit longer than he says in his write up though, if cooking at 225.
    This easy pulled pork recipe skips the slow cooker to create authentic low-and-slow smoked pulled pork on a smoker or grill. With smoke woven through the moist meat, bits of seasoned crust, and a gentle splash of BBQ sauce, pulled pork is perfect for your next backyard cookout.

Comment

• joeeless
      joeeless commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Red Man

joeeless if you follow Meathead’s pork shoulder method, you’ll do great. It’s one of the most forgiving pieces of meat for low n slow cooking. It’s a great piece to learn on.

Comment

Yeah, you’ll do great. Follow meathead. And don’t fret about cooking anywhere between 225 and 300.

Comment

Wut they sed.

Comment

Ya got this, joeeless ...no worries, Brother!
          It's all personal preference, of course, but I prefers to roll my cookers along, bout 275°; gits stuff done summat sooner, still moist an tender...

If'n it involved any NASA intervention, then I reckon this ol Hillbilly wouldn't be cookin me no pork butts lol

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Pork butt ... salt it a bit, rub it a bit, throw it on the cooker and let it cook for 10 hours, or so. Hold it in a cooler for an hour or so. Pull it. Eat it.

Agree with all of the above. Don’t skip the cooler hold.

Comment

It seems to be unanimous, just follow Meathead's method. So far, by following directions, I have been pretty successful so I have no doubt this will work out just as well. Thank you all and hopefully I remember to take and post pictures

Comment

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with Mr. Bones on this one. I tend to run shoulder between 275 and 300 just to shave off some time. Good luck with your cook, and remember, without pictures, it didn't happen.

I woke up early this morning, 6 am (which is very early for a retiree), hurried through the wake up routine, started the SnS and finally put the shoulder roast on at 7:10. For the first 6 hours or so, the temperature remained pretty steady between 235 to 245. Stall occurred around 160 and I just let it go without wrapping. After I checked the roast at 6 hours, the kettle temperature started spiking and kept going up to 300. I managed to get control of it finally and brought it back down to around 250. I continued to check each hour and at 8 hours, the kettle went crazy. It got up to 315 and I tried whatever I could to bring it down but it kept me standing around for the next hour trying to keep it down. At 9 hours, the IT was 199 and I checked for 'doneness'. The bone did not seem loose enough so I left it on for another hour. Finally took it off after 10 hours with the IT 206. Because we were not going to eat for a couple more hours, I wrapped in foil, covered with a couple of towels and put it in the cooler for an hour and a half. When I took it out, it was still hot and i pulled the pork. I had bought some brioche hamburger buns and dinner was really outstanding. Meathead, you hit the nail on the head with your recipe. I did take a couple of pictures along the way, after 3, 6 and 8 hours and finally the end product

Click image for larger version

Name:	After 3 hours.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	908875

Name:	After 6 hours.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	908876

Name:	After 8 hours.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	908877

Name:	Done at 10 hours.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	908878

Once again, thanks to everyone for your help, comments and encouragement

Comment

• Schwyy
              Schwyy commented
              Editing a comment
              awesome looking cook! and great job fighting the ups and downs of the kettle. cant wait to see cook #2

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't worry about the 300+ temps these shoulders will take it.
              I usually do shoulders in the 300 range with no problems
              Nice cook

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              While you will want to get a handle on controlling the temperature of your kettle, this is no problem whatsoever with a butt. Very forgiving piece of meat to practice on, and you always have something great to eat afterward.

You're running with the big dogs now, after that perfect cook. Congrats! You can't go wrong with Meathead's recipes.

Enjoy the leftovers.

Kathryn

Comment

• joeeless
              joeeless commented
              Editing a comment
              Still a small pup hoping to grow up to be one of the big dogs. Thank you Kathryn

Looks delicious

Comment

Looks like you got this

Comment

Really Good Job Brother!

Comment

That just looks outstanding! Really nice job on that. Temps on the kettle can be a little tricky sometimes, but sounds like you did just fine. Until I bought my smoker earlier this year, I cooked, smoked, BBQ, etc everything on my kettle. Love those things.

Comment

I'm a new member cruising around the site. This is a great post. Lots of help and support. Looking forward to my first low and slow soon....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here