Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!-Pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!-Pulled pork

Got a 8.8# pork butt cooking at 225* in a WSM with a DIGIQ to control the temp.Crutched it with butchers paper at 160(ish) after ten hours and added new Kingsford blue coals.Now it's stalled at 171* for the last two hours and don't know why it will not go up to pulling temp of 205*.Is this normal?.

Get it wrapped tightly in foil or crank the heat up. Yes, pretty normal.

Comment

Quite normal. Crank the temp up around 275 and it will start climbing. Even if you stay the course at 225 eventually it will start to climb; but it will take longer.

Comment

Yup all good. Very normal. Good thing about pulled pork it is very forgiving. Crank the heat and plow through the stall if you are on a tight schedule, hold firm and ride it out if not. You got this.

Comment

You will make it. Every piece of meat is different. The rule is 1.5 hrs per lb but it could be more and could be less. Hang in there.

Comment

While every piece of meat is different, I’m wondering if your Digiq probe might be malfunctioning. I routinely cook on a ceramic without wrapping at 225, and 10#ers are usually finished in 12-14 hours. The internal temp is typically at 180 by the 10 hour mark.

Comment

Normal? Yes, and there could be more than one stall if you stay at 225°. There is moisture escaping from the butt and at 225° there isn't enough difference in temps to evaporate it before it causes the stall. If you bump the temp up or wrap it, that will help end the stall.

And 205° is not the magic temp. It's done when a probe goes in like a knife in warm butter. That could be anywhere between 195° and 210°, but is normally in the low 200s.

Comment

You can always finish in the oven at a higher temp if your tired if babysitting your smoker.

Comment

We need to establish a Pitmaster Club 24/7 crisis hotline for our brethren experiencing their first stall, and pepper the sidebars with public service announcements raising stall-panic awareness.

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great! I'll put you down for the midnight to 8 AM time slot.

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    RonB I prefer to remain the idea guy, - off to solve other problems that need my attention, lol.

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
                  We need to establish a Pitmaster Club 24/7 crisis hotline for our brethren experiencing their first stall, and pepper the sidebars with public service announcements raising stall-panic awareness.
                  Absolutely. I think what makes that first stall so shocking is that the meat has generally been rising in temp at a relatively fast clip, then it slows down....and just stops. That was my experience. I thought it would be done soon, but I still had several hours to go! (Didn't wrap.)

The reverse problem is wrapping for the first time and being shocked at how fast it comes out of the stall!

Comment

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, but having a faux cambro at the ready smooths over finishing early and makes it all the better!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here