Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrapping ribs in foil vs no wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrapping ribs in foil vs no wrap?

I am a rookie BBQ er. I see everyone wrapping their ribs and I never have don that. How much am I missing? All my smoking has been done on a Weber grill. Does everyone wrap their ribs?

Welcome to the pit!
    i have never wrapped my ribs. They always turn out great and wrapping seems like a pain. I know many others here don't wrap. And many do wrap with great results. Its preference but i dont think your missing anything! You could always try wrapping once and see what u think.

Comment

I do after trying it both ways. I shoot for 250 and smoke 3 hours, then wrap with vinegar or other liquid and steam for an hour, then another hour unwrapped and sauce the last 15.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        MTurney yes, exactly.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        So, Th 3 -1 - .25 Method...?

Kewl, I might try it... ain't sauced me no ribs in likely 25-30 years, but thinkin mebbe I'll play round some with it... (Disclaimer: With my own sauces... )

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, 3-1-.75-.25 method. Usually works out just right. Adjust time as necessary. I love those sticky ribs the sauce gives you and the heat my rub imparts.

Short answer; no not everyone. In fact, any time you see an absolute answer of any kind about any form of cook or process it's going to be only that person's opinion based on their tastes and experiences. My suggestion is you try various methods rather than believing there is one, single, best method. What I, or anyone else, likes may not appeal to you, or it may. Wrapping most often speeds up the cooking process on high collagen content meat products, but time is a factor too. The outer crust on the finished product will have a crispier texture not wrapped than the wrapped version (though there are techniques to mitigate that too). Don't be afraid to experiment, most often you can still eat your "mistakes". Recipes or guidelines are just suggestions, not law/rules. Develop your technique.
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; September 3, 2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactamundo!

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        what no "cookbook mechanics" ?

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3332
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	905385 i don't wrap with a pellet cooker. i see it as a time saver, so would if i needed to. if you have an inkling to not wrap, don't because i believe you should never add a step that makes it less fun for you.

i don't wrap unless i need time and the results won't win me grand champion, but it is a hit where it counts....

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Two thumbs up from the best judges,

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Trophy Awarded, Dad!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup! I wanna cook em so I get looks like that. 🕶

I do not wrap. But I spritz with apple juice every hour. Perfect every time. Oh and I cook them on a pellet smoker at 250 degrees. Takes about 6 hrs. 🤷‍♂️
      Last edited by Jfrosty27; September 3, 2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

To wrap or not to wrap, that is the question. Baby Back Maniac has a nice video on you tube which compares wrap in foil, paper and no wrap. You may also google the 3-2-1 method for ribs.
        https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I am a rookie. I have smoked maybe 30 Baby Back Ribs on a Weber grill. I am learning. I am controlling the temp way better - about 275 on the Weber temp gage for about 3.5 hrs and then sauce. I have been trying various rubs and the Carolina Dirt Rub really seems to improve the bark.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            With 30 racks under your belt I'm not sure I would call you a rookie! My suggestion would be to do 2 racks in the same way except that you wrap one and don't wrap the other. That way, you'll have 32 racks under your belt 😂

• Schwyy
            Schwyy commented
            Editing a comment
            30 racks??

I hereby rescind my advice and now have a million questions for you.

For me it comes down to how tender do you like the ribs? A couple reasons i to wrap, if you like falling off the bone tender or if your running close on time then wrapping is the way to go. If you like a nice bark with a good bite through rib meat then running them naked might be your cup of tea.
          It really just depends on what your taste is, there’s no right or wrong way. Always remember to have fun and make good food that YOU enjoy!!

Comment

I ain't again wrappin, on principle, so please, don' git me wrong...there's a Hailluva lotta ways to git to Amazin Ribs, this is simply one way... (Mine)

That bein said, I've never wrapped, in more than 50 yrs... only learned of it in recent years, an it seemed like a Huge PITA, to me... Ain't broke, wail then, ....

I'll let ya decide fer yerself if'n wrappin is 'necessary', or not...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200328_170228 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	905414

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200328_185941 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	905415

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200328_180506 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	905416

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200328_190235 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	683.3 KB ID:	905417
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20200328_191144 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	741.5 KB ID:	905418

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200328_191659 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	776.4 KB ID:	905419

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200328_194219 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	765.8 KB ID:	905420

Most generally, I ususally achieve edible results...

Experiment round, some; see what works best fer yerself, an yer cooker bein used...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 3, 2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Wibs huh? Well, they look mighty fine, mighty fine!

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks delicious.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              FireMan Many thanks fer them there kind words, Brother!

Comin from such a wecognized Wibs Authority as yerself, Sir, that's Mighty High Praise...

I have never wrapped ribs and have no plans to start anytime soon.

Comment

I've done it both ways many times and my personal preference is to wrap. My 3-2-1 method frequently ends up being more like 4-1-1, and I let the bark be my guide for when to wrap. I add beer to the cook and no liquid to the ribs.

Comment

As others have suggested, wrapping ribs is a personal choice. In my case, I’ve never felt the need. You may decide differently ...

Comment

I agree with others on this one. It is a preference. I like ribs either way but for me my preference is to wrap.

Comment

Mr. Bones I’ll start by saying I need to get his address. I’ll wait out front til I smell the smoke.

I’ve never wrapped ribs, never felt the need since the results have been good. It seems to me that wrapping ribs is a product of the popularity of competition. I personally never saw much about it until recipes and videos started showing how to do it by comp cooks. I think all the comp cooks do it in contests. I prefer ribs without the sweetness of the final glaze. It’s good, I just prefer it without. As everyone has said, personal preference, no wrong way to do it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yer always welcome at my fire, an my table, any danged time, Brother...jus gimme a heads up when yer leavin Plano, so I can git a cooker lit off.... I gots, then ya gots...

Oh, an Please, bring me PLENTY Lone Star, an Hot Guts...I'll pay cash, no prob...taste of Home! It'll lemme live, least fer a minute...

Few more years, Good Lord willin, an th crick don't rise, I'll be back down there in TX!!!!
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 4, 2020, 09:21 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here