Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need-help-what-is-a-"dry-pork-butt-sr"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help: what is a "Dry Pork Butt SR"?

I’ve Googled this every way I can think of, including here, but only come up with articles on how not to dry out a pork butt, lol 😂 ... My first ever pork butt, & due to circumstances BMC, this is what I was able to buy at Kroger, but I cannot find this labeling anywhere... what the he’ll is "dry pork butts SR 1PC"? I’m going out on a limb and guessing it is indeed a Butt, guessing SR means "shoulder", and "1PC" means "one piece", but just guesses, since it was all they had, no butcher on-site, and now it doesn’t match any of the USDA labels, even the 9442 code... I’m stumped... it does feel like there’s a shoulder blade in there, and I’ll pull it out of cryovac this weekend, but want to plan my cook... my BIGGEST question is why "DRY"? I see nothing on the label indicating it is brined, but since I can find no reference, I hate to assume! Can anyone help out here?
    Attached Files

Hmmm, clueless, perplexed. Never seen this on a label. Can you give us a zoomed-out pic of the meat?

Comment

Only thought is that dry means not injected or pre-brined?

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        That is my guess. The label does on include salt water added, or some thing to that effect.

Another example of the neat departments getting creative perhaps. These days half the time I am utterly confused by what they claim they are selling.

Comment

I guess SR is shoulder roast as a pork butt comes from the shoulder.

Comment

I bet that label has been in their system forever. Some one probably saw that title and clicked the button knowing it was a butt/pork. Who ever decided print that likely has no clue. That’s just my thoughts though.

Add some cherry Wood and call it a day.

Comment

Thanks guys! There’s no other labeling, no ingredients listed, so I’m gonna unwrap it & trim it... I’ll post pics, but I’m gonna pretty much dry brine it, hit it with Memphis Dust & smoke it all day with a little pecan

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like the best plan, regardless of the wording on the label.

Guys, it's obviously a Pork Butt SR that's dry, not wet. Geez....

Comment

Interesting that with regulation in the meat industry to the point of having meat codes (9442 above), that descriptions aren't standardized as well. When I started smoking, I thought a pork butt came from the rear of the animal. Now I always call it a pork shoulder, because that's clearer. But I'm an engineer.
              I still have real pork butt (ham) on my list of meats to smoke.

Comment

They just want you to get to know the hog so you can appreciate the sacrifice it made for you. He was an older hog, hence the SR (Senior). DRY could be either his sense of humor or his avoidance of alcohol.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You see what that got him!

That's just the sacrificial peice meant for old guys that aren't going to cook it properly. The butcher knew what was going to happen to some of ones he sold.

Comment

Well, whatever the label means, it was delicious! Didn’t get pictures when I started pulling it, cause it took 14 hours, lol 😂
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here