Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly burnt ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly burnt ends

I made my first batch of burnt ends today and we are not that pleased with the results and I was wondering what everyone thinks of the picture of the finished results? I basically did a 3-2-1 cook like I do with ribs. I dry brined them, put on Memphis dust and smoked them on the Primo at 250F.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2FDF8E05-078A-4F22-AB99-AC8114A94915.jpeg
Views:	345
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	905321

What internal temp?

Comment

Did you sauce them? I don’t see anything in your picture.

My approach is to cube, smoke for about two hours. Then sauce and put in pan and cover and continue cooking till I get the tenderness I want and then uncover for the last 15-30 min to tighten up the sauce. But six hrs seems a bit long to me.
      Last edited by shify; September 3, 2020, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        No I did not sauce them yet. I will try sauce tomorrow.

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        Argoboy - hopefully you can rescue it by cooking in a sauce. PBBE need that braise/steam time to really make it work. I’d say a good 1 cup of sauce in the pan and cover and cook for a hr or so.

I coat with carolina gold mustard sauce and Memphis meat rub and smoke 2-3 hours at 225. Move to a foil pan add a stick of butter, brown sugar and honey. Cooke for another hour or two. Drain off the fat/sugar mixture and sauce them ... leave cooking till tacked up. Pork belly is fantastic but I’m pretty sure cardboard would taste good like that

Comment

with the cubes so Small i would do 2-1.5-.5 instead. and when covered put some sort of sauce liquid in there

Comment

Check Malcom Reed's you tube video on burnt ends.
          Pretty sure it mirrors fracmeister recipe but I thought he did a three step cook.
          Only smoked these the one time but they turned out fantastic, would do it more if I could find pork belly locally.
          Superstore has it once and a while, Metro once in a blue moon

Comment

• Schwyy
            Schwyy commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 i love Malcolm Reed's recipe.

i usually open up Malcolm Reed and Jess pryles and pick up items from both.

• Argoboy
            Argoboy commented
            Editing a comment
            That is the video I watched but I did cover them to braise but I used Apple juice and brown sugar instead of butter.

• clb239
            clb239 commented
            Editing a comment
            I use Malcolm's recipe but have tweaked the sauce that is used for the final part of the cook...Everyone I have cooked them for raved over how they come out...

I use this basic recipe, including their rub: https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-pork...ipe-and-video/ :

Smoke about three hours at 275*
          Cook in a covered foil pan with braising sauce about 90 minutes to an IT of about 200*
          Uncover and cook 15 minutes to thicken the sauce

For the braising sauce I use a stick of butter, some honey, some Stubb's original BBQ sauce, and a little water. I also add some chopped peppers and onions to the sauce. It is always a crowd pleaser.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=643144&d=1551317806&type=medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	905400
          Last edited by 58limited; September 3, 2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I've never seen burnt ends done that were not cooked in a liquid.

Comment

• Argoboy
              Argoboy commented
              Editing a comment
              I did cook in liquid but we did not think enough fat had rendered off so I smoked them longer. I will add some sauce today.

I sauced them up today and here is my final picture, we have decided that this will probably be a one time burnt ends cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2378CC19-42DF-4B1F-B871-A4B09C78001C.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	906037

Comment

Give it a few weeks and give em another go these are too good not to try again
              only suggestion I would make is cook them on a grate to keep them out of the fat
              then again that hawg may have had a belly ache
              Last edited by smokin fool; September 5, 2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Yeah, don't give up on them, they are too good not to try again. Practice makes perfect. Here is a short video from the link I posted above, it is a pretty good tutorial. I use more butter and honey and I add about 1/2 cup of water - I noticed that the sauce tended to dry out too much during the braise.

Comment

It's easy to overlook but I would suggest more salt. They don't take up much with all the fat and I find they need a ton even with a dry brine. Its a taste thing but I keep pulling pieces of and adding salt until the flavor pops. I don't wrap them or cook in a tray because I want the full textural contrast of bark vs the basically liquefied fat. Just sauce individually at the end.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here