Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly thickness question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly thickness question

Hi all!

I purchased a load of pork belly today, which will be used for a bbq class this week (Friday). Since the class isn't a full day class I did some pre-trimming to save time, especially since it is a big group of people.

However, to my disappointment the pork belly is a bit thin. I bought two large slabs, about 12 x 12", and trimmed the skin off. I've done many pork bellies, but feel that these, measuring 1", could be a bit thin.

The reason I think so is that since this is a 5 hour class the smoked and syrup glazed pork belly is gonna be the 'most' barbecue item on the menu, and I want to make sure it's a hit. I usually smoke a pork belly for 3 hours, but this one will most likely go faster.

What would you do? Should I swap out the pork belly for something else? Or just keep it and let them cook it?

I already have seafood and beef (tri tip) on the menu, so, trying to get pork in there. Ribs would be good, but we're just a bit short of time.

What say ye?

Two thoughts come to my mind. One is can you lower the cooking temp on the pork belly so it would take a little longer to cook or if you need something a little faster how about pork loin or loin chops?

Comment

Swap the pork belly for pork loin? Or a pork crown roast?

Comment

I think you should still do the pork belly. Always amazing even if it takes a bit less time.

Comment

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. The idea of lowering temp is very good (@Dadof3Illinois), and that also means I can stick to my plan. Great!

Comment

Yup. I would still do it. You can also scrape the skin and dry out/dehydrate and fry up some cracklins/Chicharron/Pork rinds. Even better if you have a dehydrator.

Comment

For my BBQ classes, I was trying to bang out briskets/ribs in 5 hours and still teach the class. Pretty much impossible. So I either cook a brisket the day before then reheat it or start earlier cooking, then do another for the class where you have time to explain and are not rushed.

Comment

In addition to th most excellent suggestions offered above, if ya needed summat to fill time, mebbe teach a side, or two, Brother Hank...

Smoker beans, mac n cheese... even a nice slaw, with time to let it fridge a spell, an mingle th flavours...tater salad, green beans would be some options that seem to fit yer timeframe...

Surely, Troutman 's elote would be easy to complete in a short time

Just a thought, (an I have em so rarely), I wanted to post afore it plumb clean done evaporated!
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 1, 2020, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I wouldn’t change too much,,,,
                  I think that is a perfect example of " it’s done when it’s done" .
                  people do not get "it" when ur cooking a piece of meat,,,
                  it’s all the same but different,,,and you just go with what you have and make it work,,,
                  when you know what you got and have a time sequence void you fill with food or beverage or both
                  it’s time management

Comment

Stick with the plan, good time to impress on your class your smoking meat not doing an F1 race.
                    Good food takes time.

Comment

Thanks guys, I also realized I can wrap and rest it for a while if needed. So it should work out just fine. Will post pics later.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here