Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston butts-1st time smoking halved butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston butts-1st time smoking halved butts

I bought Costco boned Boston butts did minimal trimming halved and froze them. Today I started with 3 slabs of St. Louis ribs and finished with 3 halves of butts. They turned out quite well. Happy with them. Dry brined overnight and MMD. KBB with cherry chunks. Ribs hung in 18” WSM @ 240 & butts in same WSM on grate @ 255-went to 290 when IT got to 180 as it was getting late & I need my sleep. Graph with green is from rib run and bi color graph is from the butt run.
    Attached Files

Jared49 I realize this is an old thread, but if you see this, please comment as to how the halving of the butts effected cook time on the smoker as compared to the time your cooker usually takes for same sized butt that was not halved. Thanks in advance!

pkadare I now see that I looked at the OP's join date rather than the post date.
    Last edited by Alabama Smoke; August 31, 2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      The original post was about 8 hours before your comment. Is that what passes for old around here now? We're all in trouble. :-)

• Jared49
      Jared49 commented
      Editing a comment
      Alabama Smoke, it is a bit difficult to say, as this was also the first time that I "intentionally" had my smoker run hotter than I usually do. But I think I can say I did shorten the run some by halving. Where I did "gain" is the bark-lots & lots “o’krispybarque"!!! It’s awesome!! Definitely a new preferred way to do butts!!

Nice cook!

Kathryn

Comment

Butt run? You guys are teaching me new stuff everyday, lol Great cook!

Comment

• Jared49
        Jared49 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Henrik! I’m enjoying your build as well.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here