Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Smoke to Put on Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Smoke to Put on Bacon

Hi,

I’m going to be trying bacon for the first time this weekend. I’ve been reading all the recipes, but haven’t been able to find the answer to one question.

I’m going to be using charcoal, applewood and my Weber kettle. How long should I keep adding applewood? The first hour? The entire cook?

Thanks in advance.

I do bacon on my Weber Smokey Mountain, take it to an internal temp of 155-160. That takes me 2 to 2.5 hours, generally. I put enough wood in to get 2 hours worth of smoke. Hope that helps

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      This. Basically, you want to add wood for the length of the cook, but remember you only take bacon to about 155 or so.

• DreamOn
      DreamOn commented
      Editing a comment
      This...

Bacon can take a lot of smoke. Hit it hard.. no problem

Comment

Agree to both of the above. You won’t go wrong. Just no dirty smoke and you’ll be good.

Comment

Yup, I use 3 chunks of hickory about the size of a large lemon and space them out so they burn sequentially as the fire moves through the coals.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I am so confused. My wood chunks are only the size of tangerines or limes. What do I do if its not lemon sized? And was that large lemons or small lemons....

This entire citrus measurement debate has my head spinning...

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris You want to use chunks the size of racquetballs...

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          mnavarre oh boy worries me even more. I used to play racquetball in the 80's, but tossed out my racket and a tube of balls in a yard sale a few years ago... dang it, I should have kept one as a gauge for wood chunks.

Yep, load 'em up with smoke and can I suggest Mesquite to really kick things along.
        Made the mistake of too little smoke on the last batch I did and was disappointed.
        Though it was still heaps better than the store bought stuff, I haven't bought bacon since the first batch I did myself, love it!

Comment

Nothing beats that Smokey Smell you get when frying homemade bacon.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Comment

I usually use about 4-6 chunks on my Ranch Kettle and take it to ~145-150. I try to go for heavier smoke than I would most other meats.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here