Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust rub for Stl ribs - how to add heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis Dust rub for Stl ribs - how to add heat

Memphis Dust is a fantastic rub. What is the best way to add heat if I am using only a dry rub? I have successfully used Memphis Dust and then added spicy BBQ sauce at the end, to add heat. Trying to understand the best way to add some heat and keep the ribs dry rub. Thanks.

I will add cayenne pepper or chipotle powder to the rub. Be careful a little goes a long way. I prefer spicy, my better 2/3 not so much. It is a compromise thing.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Or be like me and get cayenne and paprika confused when making a batch of dry rub

Definitely cayenne.

Comment

Originally posted by high plains griller View Post
      I will add cayenne pepper or chipotle powder to the rub. Be careful a little goes a long way. I prefer spicy, my better 2/3 not so much. It is a compromise thing.
      Thank you. What do you mean by my better 2/3?

Comment

• high plains griller
        high plains griller commented
        Editing a comment
        She is more than my better 1/2.

For a lot of flavor and reasonably mild heat try Aleppo pepper flakes or powder

Comment

Cayenne. Lots of it.

Ive done equal parts Cayenne and MMD on wings and its pretty darn good

Comment

Check this thread out

I really like MMD and use it on most things, especially pork and chicken parts. I enjoy the flavor in general and especially the way it's flavors Melissa with my Rum Molasses BBQ Sauce. But the timing is, we like spicy food and Memphis Dust, as delicious as it is, is not spicy at all. I'm interested in spicing up MMD,

Comment

Thank you. Sounds like Cayenne Pepper is the reco. From that other post (thanks holehogg ), someone said: 1/2 tsp or more of smoked cayenne to 3 tsp of MMD for a little kick. That seems like a bit much. Maybe half that to start?

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I would just start with a little and keep tasting and adding as necessary it until it is right.

I add crushed red pepper to mine, that I blend up to fine so it’s consistent with the other spices. It’s not cayenne spice but does add nicely with cayenne. Or chile de arbol.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here