Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To dry brine or not, that's my question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocinante
    replied
    I find myself always applying a rub, which contains a lower salt content to all my meats the night before, providing no time constraints get in the way. I can see where the liquid working its way back into the meat on a big piece like a Butt may not get all that deep, but for ribs, steaks and just about anything else, a rub the night before is my usual game plan. I will place the meat on a cooling rack on a baking sheet and let rest naked in the fridge.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Something about BBQ science or sumpin

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    jitsntricks stick it in the fridge uncovered. Put it on a cookie rack in a cookie tray if you can. Let’s air circulate around the meat. Works better IMHO

• smokenoob
    replied
    I dry brine cause I was told to in a science book

Leave a comment:

• Hidohebhi
    replied
    I have a fridge in the garage we use for overflow and meat so I leave it uncovered on a baking pan.

Leave a comment:

• jitsntricks
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. looks like the consensus is in favor of dry brining. Looks like I'll be doing a lot more of that. Also, do you wrap in plastic or just stick it uncovered in the fridge?

• Hidohebhi
    replied
    I always dry brine based on the teachings of Mr Meathead and I've never been disappointed. Just remember to not add salt to your rub.

Leave a comment:

• jitsntricks
    commented on 's reply
    Great tips! Thanks! I'm definitely going to brine this bad boy for at least a day.

• Spinaker
    replied
    I dry brine if I have the time. I always to make time to do it though.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Yep! I second that. Too much surface fat and people jsut get rid of it when they eat, there goes your rub and bark!

• ecowper
    replied
    No matter what sort of cut of meat I'm prepping to grill or smoke, I always do several things IF POSSIBLE. Time constraints may cause issues, especially with dry brining. I have, at times, literally picked up a pork butt at the store, hit it with some salt and rub, and then gone straight onto the smoker.

- Dry brine with 1/2 tsp kosher salt per pound for at least 1 hour. Preferably 24 hours. On large cuts of meat (Pork butt, for example) if I can't go 24 hours, I don't bother with the dry brine.

- Trim fat and silverskin aggressively. I get all of that off the surface that I can. It interferes with dry brine, rub, and bark formation. In addition, most people trim the surface fat off their serving. So, you basically lose the rub and bark you spent so much time on. I have never noticed that surface fat does some miraculous basting or something, so I just trim it right down to the meat.

- Keep the meat as cold as possible right until it goes on the grill/smoker. I basically take it from the fridge to the counter, hit it with my rub/seasoning, and then straight to the cooker. You get far more/better smoke flavor in my experience doing this. Letting it sit on the counter and warm up just means you are putting the meat into the danger zone for bacteria formation, without any significant impact on cooking that I have ever found.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    I'll dry brine a butt two days in advance if I can. I do not brine wibs. I put the rub on first thing in the morning of the cook, our rib rub has salt. so, I guess I do brine wibs.

Leave a comment:

• Parkin
    commented on 's reply
    I tend to notice it a lot more on a smaller pieces like, 1/2 a butt vs an 8-10 pounder.

• Parkin
    commented on 's reply
    I've done it both way and personally prefer not brined...my family all loves it brined.

• Attjack
    replied
    I always dry brine and feel like it makes a significant difference. I definitely dry brine ribs too.
    Last edited by Attjack; August 24, 2020, 12:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here