Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To dry brine or not, that's my question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    jitsntricks I have, and on thinner pork cuts I think it makes a difference but it seems more often than not I forget to thaw my ribs in time to do a proper brine. Nobody seems to complain when they eat so I’ll assume they taste good.
    I’ll dry brine beef and I’m a believer that it makes a difference, especially on steaks.

Leave a comment:

• jitsntricks
    commented on 's reply
    What about ribs? Have you brined those? I'm thinking if those are brined, probably would only need a few hours or so

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Yup. Do what makes ya feel good...

Several hours later, yer still gonna have delicious pulled pork.

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    For me, I haven’t seen a big difference in dry brining or not on large cuts of pork. As far as trimming a pork butt...I’ll trim all the thick hard fat off because it doesn’t render out as easily, but don’t worry too much about the soft fat.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    I’ve never dry brined a pork butt.
    Outta the fridge, dry rub it and into the grate.
    Personal preference thing.
    Guess the right answer depends on which side of the fence your on

Leave a comment:

• jitsntricks
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome, thanks for the tips

• Donw
    replied
    Answering your question with what I do, I trim most external fat down to a minimum or right off. IMHO the meat itself contains all the fat I need to produce a good product and it also doesn’t allow the salt to penetrate the meat during brining. I also don’t need to separate out big chunks of fat from the meat when I’m pulling or chopping.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    If I can’t let it brine for 24 hours, at least, then I just salt it right before I put it on.

• jitsntricks
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! Do you trim much of the fat off or just let the salt penetrate that?
    I'm aware of the articles on this site. It's actually where I learned of dry brining and how it works and ultimately changed how I prepare my tri tip.
    All the other learning resources I've use for BBQ (youtube mainly) never really talk about dry brining pork. I wonder why that is.
    Looks like I'll be tossing this butt in the freezer until next weekend as I was too lazy to brine it last night lol.

• Donw
    replied
    I dry brine every pork butt and for that matter all pork cuts at least overnight. It does make a difference in the moisture of the pork itself. There are articles here on the site and other sites that go into the mechanics of why it works.

Leave a comment:

• jitsntricks
    started a topic To dry brine or not, that's my question

To dry brine or not, that's my question

Do you guys dry brine a pork butt over night before the smoke, or not? Do you notice much of a difference with this size of meat? Just curious before I put in a possible unnecessary effort in dry brining. I typically add some of the juices from the wrap, maybe a little Carolina vinegar sauce, and a little rub to the pulled pork and it always comes out fantastic.

Just wondering what you all do since I know that dry brining tri tip has taken it to another level flavor wise.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here