Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Low and Slow on my Performer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Low and Slow on my Performer

Cooking Butt on my Weber Performer. First time trying Low and Slow on this cooker. Banked the coals on one side then lit 10 briquettes and added wood. I hope I can stabilize temps because I don't want to have to fiddle with it. Wish me luck!

Good Luck, amigo!

Sounds like yer set up to roll along bout 225°-250°, dependin on yer vent settings...

Any more questions / concerns, reckon hit us up, here...

Comment

Good luck, but you’ve got this without needing any.

Comment

I bet it's going to be great. Have fun.

Tell your Summit Charcoal that I'm firing my (Mr. Fancypants) Summit up today for a batch of ribs. That way he can enjoy the cook vicariously while he looks at that usurper kettle perking along.

Kathryn

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha, we are up at camp so the WSCG is getting some rest.

I detect an unnecessary amount of trepidation by you Sir. You've been around long enough to know what to do - just do it. Ya got this...

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I was just nervous because I had to let it run on its own while I was with company fishing. So far so good. Average temp of 257 for 7 hours. I am happy so far!

I found marking the full open and full closed ash sweep position to be helpful in adjusting the lower vent as it can't be seen during cooks normally.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP Thanks! I’ve already got a WSM, which is why I’ve been on the fence about getting a SnS. But then you reminded me about searing my steaks on it. It’s worth it to me for that feature alone. I just now ordered me the Deluxe SnS thru the AR website from SnS Grills! And you’re right about marking the kettle sweeper. I marked me a 1/4 and 1/2 open setting with a magic marker first time I used it.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          PJ...
          Gotcha covered, far as reasons to git an SnS, amigo...
          Many folks don't know it, but I might gots me a few Webers lol
          I have me four SnS orig, two XL's fer th 26's
          Also have me 3 18.5' WSM's, which see regular service
          Apples
          N
          Oranges.
          Can do th same danged thing, with either...
          But, a smaller smoke, easier, peasier, more economical, faster, with th SnS / 22.5" kettle combo.
          This from a guy who has smokers dang near big enough to load a sheet o plywood in...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 22, 2020, 01:07 PM.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks MB! That’s what I was thinking also, a little easier and quicker! Plus, I’ve always thought it kind of a pain wrapping my WSM water pan in foil to keep it clean.....then unwrapping it with all the water and juices mess. With the SnS I can just pull it out and dump. Three!.......18.5” WSM’s? 🧐

Something you may want to investigate for doing low and slow without a Slow 'N Sear in your kettle is the "snake" method. This is what I used before I had a SNS, and it was always a foolproof way to do low and slow cooks at 225F, on any kettle (I had 2 at the time).

This is an article with good pictures of how you set that up - I usually just did it almost all the way around.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I will try that next time, thanks!

Personally, I build a snake for consistent low and slow temps.

Comment

So far so good! 7 hours at average temp of 257. I was worried about how well the temp would hold since I would not be babysitting it. We have company up and we were fishing on the lake.

I used Fogo lump and there is still about half left to go. Meat temp is 177 and holding.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Comment

Cook it like you stole it

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              smokin fool You should post an occasional BBQ pic with your dog in it. She’s really purty. I think it would add to the interest of our pics if more people would include their dogs and cats in their cooking pictures, maybe just occasionally. Mr. Bones showed his cat in one really good pic he posted, you also did....along with someone with a dog named Pork Chop, he was sitting there staring at the grill. 😄. Just a thought. I would, but I don’t have any pets.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John 10-4 will do, she is a purdy dawg and she knows it....like a purdy girl uses it to her advantage!!!!

Came out great. One load of charcoal lasted 11 hours with some to spare. Very happy with how consistent the temps were.

Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m on the way! What’s your address?

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Pick me up on your way there!!!!

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Great looking cook, and it looks like you nailed it on the charcoal setup!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here