Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iberico Ribs with a Dr Pepper Glaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iberico Ribs with a Dr Pepper Glaze

Forgive me, for I have sinned. I smoked some crazy delicious ribs that will turn even the most faithful to a heathen

So, Dr Pepper, this very artificial drink. What to do with it? Well, a tasty glaze was what I had in mind, so that's what I did. I smoked some Iberico Ribs, you know those meaty, tasty, fatty, rich and just loaded with flavor ribs? Yup.

Fired up my kettle, added oak wood chunks for flavor and smoked those sunsabitches at 130° C for 5 hours. After 3 hours, when I had the bark I wanted, I started slathering on that Dr Pepper glaze. I kept going until I ran out of sauce. Man, this was a home run! Super tasty, rich, fingerlickin' good!

Dr Pepper Glaze
    • 14 tbsp Dr Pepper (that's 2 deciliters for us Metric folks)
    • 7 tbsp ketchup (1 deciliter)
    • 4 tbsp golden syrup
    • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    • 2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
    • 2 tbsp soy sauce

Add ingredients to a pan, let it simmer for 30 minutes. Cool off.

Here are the ribs, as nature made 'em

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dr Pepper Ribs Raw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.7 KB ID:	899404

And the rub applied

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dr Pepper Ribs Rub.jpg Views:	0 Size:	369.4 KB ID:	899405

And here's the final slather of that saucy goodness

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dr Pepper Ribs Mop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	462.3 KB ID:	899406

I'm gonna add this to my bbq cooking class repertoire, just ridiciulously tasty.

Last edited by Henrik; August 21, 2020, 05:22 AM.

Try this next time we do wibs
    I tend to use root beer more in my smoking recipes
    Plus the kids swill down the Dr Pepper whenever we buy it

Comment

Looks really Grand Henrik

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Kjetil!

Th flavor profiles of both Dr. Pepper an root beer are both excellent in sauces...

Btw, trust me on this: Try Jack Black with some Barq’s, or A&W...
      Also, enjoy a Dr. Pepper mixed with yer fave spiced rum...

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Now we’re talkin’! Haven’t tried Dr Pepper in a drink (yet), what would your recommendation be for a ‘first timer’? I do have rhum around, love it, think the sweetness levels should match well.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Barq’s root beer! I could always count on my grandpa having Barqs in the fridge when i went to visit. Always. He knew I loved that stuff!

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik give captain Morgan spiced rum a try with dr. Pepper! I mix mine 50/50

Dr. Pepper! I haven’t had a Dr. Pepper in years. A story no one really want’s to hear, but I had a t-shirt when I was kid that said "I’m a Pepper - Dr. Pepper". wore it constantly.

Anyways, I’ve got three separate racks of SLRs in the freezer, I cook a rack at a time for the three of us and will have to try this. My son will be giddy I’m sure, since that means we will have some soda in the house.

THanks for the recipe!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. You're most welcome!

Henrik These look amazing, and I am going to try asap. On the Iberco side, are they really worth the extra cost? I keep trying to tell myself to try them, but I don't want them to be SOOO good that I never want to go back to regular butcher ribs!! Please advise.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm, that's gonna be a tricky one. First off, they're (obviously) cheaper here in Europe, but I really think you need to try just one rack and see. (Yes, I realize I sound like a dope dealer trying to hook new clients, LOL!)

One question one comment

For us across the pond, (or maybe just me) what is golden syrup?

I myself enjoy Southern Comfort with a splash of Dr. Pepper.

Comment

• BruceB
        BruceB commented
        Editing a comment
        So that might be Karo syrup (dark and light) sold here.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        BruceB - Karo is corn syrup. Golden syrup is cane syrup. They are similar but not the same.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been attending cane grindings and syrup makings in the deep South my whole life. Cane syrup isn't golden. Cane syrup is thinner than molasses but just as dark. Golden syrup isn't to be confused with corn syrup.

<--- Intrigued.

I'm definitely going to have to try this. I'm planning a rib cook next weekend anyway.

Comment

Henrik I just watched the video on YouTube today. It was a very nice cook. I'm shocked that you overcooked them

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          They were still good, but I was tinkering around the house. A humbling smoke indeed, always a learning experience. Never relax 😄

Damm those look good. I bought home a pit to do a few cooks on and ended up selling it today.
        I can't get golden syrup or Dr pepper in Argentina.
        Last edited by Ahumadora; August 21, 2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Those do look good. But something about Iberico and Dr. Pepper in the same sentence......

Comment

I think this sounds great. But SWMBO informed me that I better not use any of her Dr. Pepper on my wibs. Maybe I can sub some Mr.Pib :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here