Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed for rib cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed for rib cook

Hey folks,

I'm scheduled to cook ribs for my golf league this Friday (~12 racks) and was just wondering which you would choose given these two options:

1) Make the ribs on Thursday, foil and chill over night; then slowly (170deg) oven reheat them Friday before the crowd arrives
    or
    2) Make the ribs Friday, foil them and wrap in towels in a cooler (i.e. faux cambro) for probably a 3.5hr rest while I'm golfing

Neither option is great IMHO, but I'm leaning towards option 1 because I'm not keen on the long rest (for ribs) in option 2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

-EubieQ

I'm sure you are going to get a lot of feedback on this. I've done something similar for a church group. I did option #1 with excellent results. Just don't glaze them until you're ready to serve them. IMHO.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I have also used this approach with great results

I haven't touched a club in years......but how do I join your league, and when will the ribs be served?

Comment

I've never done either but I'd go with #1.

Comment

I've done 10 racks in the PBC, in the fridge overnight and reheated in time for company lunch the next day using an large electric roasting oven. Turned out excellent.

Comment

12 slabs,,,,,12 mulligans,,,,,,12 beers,,,,,,,and a pencil,,,
          kick back and smoke’em in the parking lot and tell the bro’s ,,,”somebody has to sacrifice for the betterment of the others”.
          you will get the trophy of the day

Comment

• tmelosi
            tmelosi commented
            Editing a comment
            You forgot the cigar.....

I think fresher is better, if you have time. You can reheat them really briefly that day when the round is over. I take door number two.

Comment

Option 1 I feel would be the way to go. Reheating the ribs will relax the meat and release the moisture back in. Ribs that have been sitting tend to develop a different texture especially if they're wrapped.

Comment

Or you may order take out, Naked ribs, then keep em warm in your grill, and sauce or glaze them making them your own.

Not that I would to that, just saying.

Comment

Option 1 is basically what I have the people do that I give away ribs to. This is also what the big-name joints recommend that ship out 'Q around the country.

Comment

I find my next-day ribs - I had some Monday night - to be almost as good as freshly done.

So, I agree with fresh ribs being better, but given the busy day you'll be having I'd go with option 1.

Comment

This. https://youtu.be/wipOiAvj_-g

Comment

I really think that ribs are forgiving and do well when reheated. I vote for option 1

Comment

Thanks for all of the comments, much appreciated! I really like the char-grilled video, tomskoog, thanks for sharing. I think that's a great option.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here