Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country-Style Boneless Pork Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country-Style Boneless Pork Ribs?

These were labeled at Boneless Country-Style Pork Ribs. They look like pork steaks from my days near St Louis. I just salted them to dry brine for tomorrow. How do I cook 'em and how long? I think they are from the shoulder side and I"m planning to smoke low for 8-10 hours and pul and slice at 180-190. Am I in the ball-park for planning?

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

I do these now and then. Shouldn’t take nearly that long. You didn’t say what temperature you’re going to have your cooker running at. I do mine at 250 and they are at 190ish after about 6 hrs. Good lick!

Comment

Yep, they sometimes cut them in thinner strips and call them country style ribs. And your right, just treat them like pork steaks.

Comment

Ok. So 220 for about 6-hours? Thinking I’ll just pepper them tomorrow (dry brined now) then it with Columbia Gold bbq sauce to sear and finish. 180-190 for finish temp.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd up the heat if you want some good brownness or just sear them before serving.

• TimmyR
          TimmyR commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard - Does 4-6-hours seem reasonable for planning?
          Last edited by TimmyR; August 16, 2020, 09:27 AM. Reason: tag

Malcolm Reed does them like this:

Check out the latest post from How to BBQ Right featuring Country Style Ribs Recipe.

Comment

I make char siu out of these!!! Marinade over night then cook using my vortex on my kettle. Takes about an hour and half to get internal between 175-185 with kettle running 400F’ish.

Comment

• TimmyR
            TimmyR commented
            Editing a comment
            Don’t know what char siu is and not sure what vortex is. Thanks though. I’m a little limited on time and have my BGE to work with tomorrow.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            TimmyR - Char siu is Chinese roast pork. A vortex is a kettle grill accessory that concentrates the heat at the center of the grate. It looks a little like a metal version of one of those collars they put on dogs to keep them from biting at their wounds
            Last edited by Dewesq55; August 18, 2020, 12:32 AM.

Smoked them for 4+ hours and pulled them from smoker at 185 degrees (on the small ones). Then I seared, rested in foil and served. My son and I loved them. If anyone is interested in the cook. I used the new Fireboard and fan. I'll post the link to the data.
          Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Those look mighty fine. The texture looks to be spot on.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            You knocked those babies outta the park
            Nice cook

I do these quite often, as they go on sale fairly frequently...

Boneless butt ribs, (not Loin)

Usually, I jus do 8-12 at a time on a Weber SJS, indirect, with either Hickory, and/or Mesquite briqs, gratuitous chunks of either wood tossed on my coals, on accounta that's what makes me happy...

Same rub(s) as I'd use fer a whole Pork Butt...(Frequently 3LP's KCAP)*

Usually (I hesitate to claim Normally, fer fear of Ridicule lol)

I (strive to) roll em along @ ~ 275°~ish...
          Rotate em bout every fifteen, 'bout 45°. Flip em bout on th half hour, an repeat th rotatin...

Usually, within an hour's time, indirect, I have me some probe tender Country Style Wibs....

Have tooken to work, also shared with friends/family/neighbours.... smallest order I got asked to make is 10 lbs.; most are several times that amount.

*Three Little Pigs Kansas City All Purpose, fer our seeminly acronym-intolerate Brother, 'PJ'Panhead John lol
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 17, 2020, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            "Have done tookened" .....is the keerect grammarism..... I shoudda done catched dat mysef......Being from Texas an all. 😱

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Woulda Coulda Shoulda, it's all th dang dang same, to us Texas Boys, now, ain't it?

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Sho nuff Brother Bones!

With Grace, Won't be too much longer, I'll be back Down Home..., summat southa Paris, summat Northa Tyler, an Longview...mebbe, on a good day, 70-72 miles Westa Shreveport.... I'm A'ight wit dat
          Man's gotta live (an Die) somewhere, now don't he?
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 17, 2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m done gettin better on them thar acronisiums. I dun figgered out PITFA Brother Bones.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John, that there one PITFA, was kinda offa th cuff, glad ya were able to catch th train, Brother....

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            smokin fool Brother, it was not by personal choice, in answer to yer question, aight?

These used to be the only style of ribs I made. I learned how to cook them from my mom. She’d grill them like pork chops, then put them all in a big pot full of BBQ sauce and simmer them for about an hour. It might not be traditional BBQ, but they are damn good that way.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Had th same, Them, in my recollection, are among th Bestest Ribs one might ever experience, in their lives...No need fer any apology; Im RightThere With ya, Mosca ......

I do mine summat different now, but that doesn't change my past...

These are in my regular rotation as well - either boneless or bone in - and I do them on a racetrack too. They don't take long to get the same results, IMO, as hours of slow cooking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CP on Lucille.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	898407
          as to the racetrack and vortex you haven't seen as yet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber Vortex Up.jpg
Views:	1531
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	898408

Comment

I've cooked me some since, but this is th last time I posted any... :

<placeholder> while I cull through / process th pics...meantime, jus imagine my usual, borin prattle, an I'll see yall in a while lol :p </placeholder>
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 18, 2020, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Link to a non-existent page.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Dewesq55 think I got it fixed, thanks, amigo! LMK if ya have any more troubles...

Thanks all. They were great. My son loved ‘em. I sliced the leftovers thin and fried ‘em up with my eggs. Cheers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here